Question for remainers re another vote Watch

Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
You forgot about the barely legal and hugely biased leaflet that the government sent to every single household, and the postal voting advice form that was sent with the actual voting slips, the one that had the cross shown in remain, oh and what about the extra 3 days to register to vote because the website got jammed up ( or so they said) for 2hrs or so.
Extending registration due to technical issues and postal voting guides are perfectly normal, and the leaflet campaign didn't break election regulations, unlike the leave campaign - which would justify overturning the result had the referendum actually been legally binding. You won, get over it.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Extending registration due to technical issues and postal voting guides are perfectly normal, and the leaflet campaign didn't break election regulations, unlike the leave campaign - which would justify overturning the result had the referendum actually been legally binding. You won, get over it.
Oh I have, was just pointing out your inconsistencies.
They were ordered to change the postal vote explanation sheet by the way, but only after thousands had already gone out .
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A bit funny how EU citizens who've been here since time eternal and have never felt the need to become citizens so they can vote (one of the most important things you can do to integrate into society) suddenly get the hump that they can't vote when they want to.
ambiplasma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I'm sure she is but entitlement to vote is a separate issue.

Let's put it this way even through In my eyes (and probably you'res too) she should be entitled to vote, but I don't make the rules and neither do you. The world does not stand up still and is not fair and probably never will be.

So this is why this arugement is flawed, when do we hold an election to stop these miscarriages? We can't can we, there are always going to be people who are and aren't eligible to vote.
However, many more people are eligible to vote that couldn't in the last election now (e.g. People who were just under the voting age) that also would be majorly affected by leaving (e.g. Due to possible changes to studying in the EU) so there would still be more possible voters there
Plus, it can't exactly hurt to hold a new referendum, especially now that we are definitely not going to leave without a deal, personally I think remaining would be far better than the deal Theresa May has got and I can't really see any other leader getting a better one, if we put it to the people to decide the current stalemate in government would be more likely to be lifted (plus we could then just accept that result as the absolute final one and get on with other things bc it's just gone on too long at this point)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ambiplasma
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I love how people write their own rules of why they don't respect the electorates veiw.
I will not respect a high proportion of the electorate if its higher than high I will lol magic :rolleyes:
I... I didn't say that though

I'm saying I don't respect the first one bc of the misinformation, illegal stuff etc etc that went on, but I would accept the result of a second one now we know more, and lies from both sides have been exposed (ESPECIALLY if the voter turnout is higher)
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ambiplasma)
However, many more people are eligible to vote that couldn't in the last election now (e.g. People who were just under the voting age) that also would be majorly affected by leaving (e.g. Due to possible changes to studying in the EU) so there would still be more possible voters there
Plus, it can't exactly hurt to hold a new referendum, especially now that we are definitely not going to leave without a deal, personally I think remaining would be far better than the deal Theresa May has got and I can't really see any other leader getting a better one, if we put it to the people to decide the current stalemate in government would be more likely to be lifted (plus we could then just accept that result as the absolute final one and get on with other things bc it's just gone on too long at this point)
I think that you're underestimating the amount of people that will change their votes from remain to leave, i personally know of 4, 2 who feel that they fell for Cameron and Osborne's lies and 2 that feel parliament has done it's best to frustrate the issue and believe that the result of the first referendum has to be implemented.
It's not quite as clear cut as you think, I still don't think that there will be another Referendum because there's still not enough support for it in parliament, right now there's not enough support for anything which, in my opinion, will lead to either A 50 being withdrawn or us leaving without a deal due to the EU not granting an extension, with the outside possibility of Mrs May's plan going through as it is.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ambiplasma)
And what will you do with the millions of young people who just missed out on your vote, and the next, and the next, and the next, and the next?

Its pointless anyway our future is not looking too bright at the moment
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes I would. Part of the reason I'd like a second referendum is because so much has changed since June 2016, both regarding Brexit and geopolitically (Trump, Bolsonaro, Salvini, Macron), that I think a referendum would need to be fought on the terms it should've been fought on all along. If we happen to still support Brexit in a referendum, I won't like it, but I'll accept it.
ambiplasma
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I think that you're underestimating the amount of people that will change their votes from remain to leave, i personally know of 4, 2 who feel that they fell for Cameron and Osborne's lies and 2 that feel parliament has done it's best to frustrate the issue and believe that the result of the first referendum has to be implemented.
It's not quite as clear cut as you think, I still don't think that there will be another Referendum because there's still not enough support for it in parliament, right now there's not enough support for anything which, in my opinion, will lead to either A 50 being withdrawn or us leaving without a deal due to the EU not granting an extension, with the outside possibility of Mrs May's plan going through as it is.
Even if it isn't clear cut, another referendum would be the best choice imo. Of course I would want remain to win since I believe that's what's best for the country, but if leave won again I'd be completely accepting of that. Another vote would take out one of the options of brexit so that the government can focus on a smaller group of solutions (e.g. If leave won again that would mean we definitely had to leave but we would have to leave with a deal, which is far better than 'ehh we might leave with a deal, we might not leave, depends')

And I am aware that there is not enough support for another referendum yet but I just believe that it should happen, not that it will
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
A bit funny how EU citizens who've been here since time eternal and have never felt the need to become citizens so they can vote (one of the most important things you can do to integrate into society) suddenly get the hump that they can't vote when they want to.
They don't give a **** about Britain. They don't care what happens. The moment their life changes they pretend to care
Last edited by Miss Maddie; 12 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads