anxiety Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
ive felt like ive had anxiety for a long time (not diagnosed) going to social events and hanging out with friends is hard as i worry about stupid things. i mainly just sit in my room as its where i feel safe and that i know nothing will happen that i need to worry about. im not even socially awkward but im starting to lose sleep over exams and i can feel like i almost have a small panic attack whenever i think about my feelings to much. i do quite well in school and that almost adds to the stress, i try not to think about my feelings to much as like i said it just makes it worse. but its becoming harder to put the feelings away...

i havent told anyone about it, i was just wondering if anyone new anything that might help?
LegallyJasmine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anxiety is a battle that is fought alone in my opinion. To solve any problem, acknowledgment is the first step which you have already taken. The second is understanding the root cause. The third is to take the step-by-step approach to changing yourself (situations never do).

In my opinion, social anxiety has low self-esteem, lack of confidence and high self-critical nature as its root causes. Dealing with them is the first part of the solution. It is also the most sustainable one.

The other more effect-based approach would be to develop distress tolerance and coping skills. For instance, when you are at a party surrounded by people, how do you open up to talk? Or how do you deal with the anxiety when you have to speak in front of 100 people? This skill would come in handy on the spot.

The third approach would be the fake it till you make it approach. This means to develop defenses (fake confidence) which help you deflect, mimic or act in a conversation, with a person or a situation so your anxiety doesn’t surface. Easier than option 1 and 2 but I don’t advise it for the long haul while short-term, it could work. I’m sure many people employ these tricks and internally live unhappy suffocated existences.

With exams and all it is normal to feel this way. But I would try to create more balance. I am like you in that regard when it comes to studying. It might feel like by isolating yourself you are helping yourself but trust me it creates a negative state of mind, which will also negatively affects your studies.

There is a song I heard (Rock + Roll by Eden) that made me change my outlook on things when I was in a very similar situation. The singer said "I ain't scared of living. what are we breathing for if we ain't living." It sounds really simple, but with the music, the lyrics as a whole and the way he sang it, it reminded me of something important. Sometimes we get so caught up and worried with our thoughts and feelings and whatnot we forget to "live". That we exist right now and that there is a beautiful world out there and that our worries are not as big as they seem at the moment. I guess that idea really resonated with me. Maybe I read too much into the lyrics, but it really changed things just realising that. You should listen to it. Best of luck! You can get through this
Last edited by LegallyJasmine; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by LegallyJasmine)
Anxiety is a battle that is fought alone in my opinion. To solve any problem, acknowledgment is the first step which you have already taken. The second is understanding the root cause. The third is to take the step-by-step approach to changing yourself (situations never do).

In my opinion, social anxiety has low self-esteem, lack of confidence and high self-critical nature as its root causes. Dealing with them is the first part of the solution. It is also the most sustainable one.

The other more effect-based approach would be to develop distress tolerance and coping skills. For instance, when you are at a party surrounded by people, how do you open up to talk? Or how do you deal with the anxiety when you have to speak in front of 100 people? This skill would come in handy on the spot.

The third approach would be the fake it till you make it approach. This means to develop defenses (fake confidence) which help you deflect, mimic or act in a conversation, with a person or a situation so your anxiety doesn’t surface. Easier than option 1 and 2 but I don’t advise it for the long haul while short-term, it could work. I’m sure many people employ these tricks and internally live unhappy suffocated existences.

With exams and all it is normal to feel this way. But I would try to create more balance. I am like you in that regard when it comes to studying. It might feel like by isolating yourself you are helping yourself but trust me it creates a negative state of mind, which will also negatively affects your studies.

There is a song I heard (Rock + Roll by Eden) that made me change my outlook on things when I was in a very similar situation. The singer said "I ain't scared of living. what are we breathing for if we ain't living." It sounds really simple, but with the music, the lyrics as a whole and the way he sang it, it reminded me of something important. Sometimes we get so caught up and worried with our thoughts and feelings and whatnot we forget to "live". That we exist right now and that there is a beautiful world out there and that our worries are not as big as they seem at the moment. I guess that idea really resonated with me. Maybe I read too much into the lyrics, but it really changed things just realising that. You should listen to it. Best of luck! You can get through this
ill try, thanks for all the help and advice
LegallyJasmine
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Of course, no problem :hugs: If you need anyone to talk to,especially since I have been in a similar position my PMs are open
(Original post by Anonymous)
ill try, thanks for all the help and advice
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To the OP: You could go to the doctor. I had anxiety almost my whole life. I dealt with it okay, but it caused serious issues: I was flaky. I went in to my man-cave. I was stoically trying to get through the day, and I was pretty good at dealing.

But the doctor gave me some medication. The first two, I was not a fan of. Then, they offered me my gorgeous, wonderful citalopram. I started to feel normal. The anxiety melted away - Just a small, minimum dose. No side effects. I felt less anxious. I became much more laid back.

You don't need to put up with that. Go to the doctors. You don't have to stoically accept what genetics has given you. Better living through chemistry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads