efjsdb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondering if anyone else has firmed Exeter/ are planning to firm Exeter.
If so
- What course are you studying?
- What is the offer?
- Why did you chose Exeter?
- Have you looked at accommodation/if so what one do you think you will stay at?

I firmed Exeter last week with an offer of ABB to study Biology. I chose Exeter because it was my favourite UNI before I even visited any university because I loved the sound of it, the location and the course. When I visited all the UNIs i wanted to, Exeter and Leeds were my favourite equally, but Leeds offered me AAA and i do not think I can get an A in chemistry so Exeter it is.
I'm thinking of Lafrowda or Birks accommodation, but i'm not sure!!
lauren millar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, Have firmed Exeter for English literature with study abroad, AAA. Chose Exeter really because it was the best of a bad lot which I picked majoritively blind. went to the open day and the sample lecturer for English looked and spoke like Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter, there was one other interesting student out of the taster seminar, and there was also a raging feminist - and I thought i was bad - naturally, I was sold. currently trying to figure out accomodation, it is all very expensive! hoping this will be worth it, good luck with your application.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone perchance interested in a houseshare?
sophia.jade
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've just firmed Exeter to study Psychology, with an offer of AAB.

I chose Exeter because I've heard it's a great uni, I love the campus and the city.

I'm booking Clifford House through the Student Housing Company, which is about a 20-minute walk from Streatham Campus.
epottchr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I firmed Exeter to study biology also, with an offer of ABB.

I went to a visit day there and really liked the campus as well as the city.

I'm not sure which accomodation to go for, does anyone know how long we have to apply for it?
Josh Lyman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by epottchr)
I firmed Exeter to study biology also, with an offer of ABB.

I went to a visit day there and really liked the campus as well as the city.

I'm not sure which accomodation to go for, does anyone know how long we have to apply for it?
Must apply before 31st July so you have a while to choose.
Mildly Gross
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there! I've also firmed Exeter for BSc Biological Sciences, but since I'm doing the European Baccalaureate my offer will probably not mean much to you (80% average with 80% in two science subjects, one of which must be Biology, and 60% in Maths). I chose Exeter because I really low how green it is, and since I'm not really one for lots of nightlife I wasn't bugged by the lesser nightlife of the city. The fact that it's near to beaches is also quite appealing.

As for accommodation, I've only just had a proper look at the moment. I'm aiming for a single room, self-catered and not too far from the campus. The university website is very helpful when it comes to searching for accommodation actually. From what I understand, Lafrowda is nice and cheap, but beware the -- next year there will be construction works going on, and only those directly affected (in blocks for en-suite or studios) will have any sort of rent reduction. Also they're really popular. Meanwhile, Northfield seems to be a hidden gem that often gets overlooked, and for the price it seems alright, but I'll have to look into things more before I come to a final decision.
Last edited by Mildly Gross; 2 years ago
AnActualFailure
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've firmed Exeter for law with an AAA offer. I chose Exeter as a mixture of gut instinct and how nice it looked when I visited. I have literally no idea what I'm doing about accommodation, but I've had a look around and it seems nice. I just actually need to get the grades now, totally not going to happen.
username2447915
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Currently a student in Exeter living in Lafrowda, wouldn't mind answering any questions
AnActualFailure
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's the nightlife like?
Did you get the accommodation that you chose?
(Original post by rnv)
Currently a student in Exeter living in Lafrowda, wouldn't mind answering any questions
username2447915
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AnActualFailure)
Depends where you're from. If you're from a big city you might find nightlife a bit underwhelming but it's honestly not as bad as you've probably heard. For me, I managed to find a great group of friends and I find flat parties much more fun than actually going out but I personally believe it's the people that make it. There is a fair share of clubs and something on most nights; Wednesday nights are pretty big if you join a sports society as that's when all the sports have socials where you get to dress up, play drinking games and then everyone goes to a club called Timepiece. If you live in Lafrowda, Lemon Grove Saturdays (SU Night) has been pretty big this year and it's literally on your doorstep. Everything is in walking distance which is really good and even if you fancy getting a taxi there or back it will only be around 5£ max. I've always felt safe walking back though, I would say most clubs are about 10/15 min walk - from Lafrowda that is, Birks is a bit further away.

Yes, I got the accommodation that I chose! In fact, most people that I know did but I did put both Lafrowdas (ensuite and non-ensuite), they say that some places have a couple of applicants per space but I personally don't really know that many people who didn't get their first choice. There's also a lot of new accommodation being built at the moment.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I firmed Exeter for law too but I'm getting confused with conditions. My friend got an offer from them too but only got BBB as their conditions. What confuses me more is that my friend isn't exactly hardworking or motivated when it comes to education.
I've firmed Exeter for law with an AAA offer. I chose Exeter as a mixture of gut instinct and how nice it looked when I visited. I have literally no idea what I'm doing about accommodation, but I've had a look around and it seems nice. I just actually need to get the grades now, totally not going to happen.
AnActualFailure
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know if the friend has a contextual offer? Their conditions may be lowered if they do.
(Original post by Anonymous)
I firmed Exeter for law too but I'm getting confused with conditions. My friend got an offer from them too but only got BBB as their conditions. What confuses me more is that my friend isn't exactly hardworking or motivated when it comes to education.
efjsdb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I feel exactly the same, I quite like areas with a bit of a buzz, but still with nice greenery! I'm not much of a nightlife fan, but I am looking forward to meeting others I applied for Lafrowda accomodation as i liked the 5 minute walk to campus haha
(Original post by Mildly Gross)
Hi there! I've also firmed Exeter for BSc Biological Sciences, but since I'm doing the European Baccalaureate my offer will probably not mean much to you (80% average with 80% in two science subjects, one of which must be Biology, and 60% in Maths). I chose Exeter because I really low how green it is, and since I'm not really one for lots of nightlife I wasn't bugged by the lesser nightlife of the city. The fact that it's near to beaches is also quite appealing.

As for accommodation, I've only just had a proper look at the moment. I'm aiming for a single room, self-catered and not too far from the campus. The university website is very helpful when it comes to searching for accommodation actually. From what I understand, Lafrowda is nice and cheap, but beware the -- next year there will be construction works going on, and only those directly affected (in blocks for en-suite or studios) will have any sort of rent reduction. Also they're really popular. Meanwhile, Northfield seems to be a hidden gem that often gets overlooked, and for the price it seems alright, but I'll have to look into things more before I come to a final decision.
*Imy*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've firmed Exeter for law - BBB offer. Picked Exeter cause it's a sick uni with really nice facilities, I'm really intrigued about the course structure too, although i might transfer to English Lit once i get there! Anyone else doing law??
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Just got my accomodation offer today, got my first choice I’m so happy, would you say it was hard making friends. I heard that Exeter’s full of middle class and I don’t exactly fit into that group.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
Anyone else getting their accommodation offers?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Anyone else getting their accommodation offers?
I have I got Lafrowda
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
Mine better come in soon
I have I got Lafrowda
UnKoWn_AdventurE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mine better come in soon
Are you a gap year student, if you are then you should be hearing from them soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.69%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.62%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (71)
27.31%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.08%

Watched Threads