The Student Room Group

Will dropping a GCSE affect going to university

Hi everyone
So my situation is that i currently go to a well rated school, and am expected to get all 7's and above in my GCSEs, except for one subject which is Spanish

I recently did my mocks and my grades faltered a little due to a lack of revision which I have gotten better at now. We recently completed our mocks and after being expected to get a 7 in my Spanish I ended up with a 4, and had to convince my teacher to not put me on foundation.

Spanish is definitely my worst subject and I have always struggled with it since year 8, but managed to luck my way through so far. When trying to revise Spanish it requires much more concentration to get in my head and I feel the best I can get from putting in lots of time and effort would be a 6. I was thinking about someone mentioning dropping the subject as this would allow lots more time to revise my other subjects and secure a good grade in them (as GCSEs start soon).

I was wondering if dropping Spanish, which would still leave me with 10 GCSEs as I also do further maths, would have an effect when aiming for a top 10 uni in Computer Science. After watching my sibling struggle with A-levels to get AAA I'm concerned that if I only just get A*AA that it could affect their choices on letting me in as I know the courses are very competitive too.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!
Reply 1
On the whole, universities do not care that much about how good your GCSEs are, or how many you have, so long as they meet some basic standards. I do physics at university and the only GCSE entry requirements were English language grade C and Mathematics grade B/C, I think.

Ideally, check the website of the course you want to do, and see if they have any specific GCSE entry requirements, but try not to worry too much; academically, they’re not the be-all and end-all.
They do not care about your GCSE grade, so long as you meet the minimum requirements and perform well at the interview.

No one does, actually.
Other than for medicine they really do not care about GCSEs other than Maths and English (language). Even for medicine I think they'd prefer 10 top level grades than 10 top level grades and 1 mediocre grade.

Quick Reply

Latest