Professional Graduate Certificate v Post Graduate Certificate Watch

Mr B 123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi

I'm coming to the end of my school direct studies. Struggling to meet a level 7 grade. Contemplating going for level 6 with QTS. I have an MA and Post Grad qualifications from the past. Do you think my lack of level 7 PGCE will decrease opportunities?

Thanks
sophia5892
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mr B 123)
Hi

I'm coming to the end of my school direct studies. Struggling to meet a level 7 grade. Contemplating going for level 6 with QTS. I have an MA and Post Grad qualifications from the past. Do you think my lack of level 7 PGCE will decrease opportunities?

Thanks
You might find some jobs specify you need the PGCE, but plenty of SCITT courses result in teachers having QTS and no PGCE, so whilst you may find some jobs ruled out, I wouldn't expect you'd struggle to find any!

One of my PGCE cohort didn't do the PGCE and he got a job no problem (Secondary MFL - German).

It might make a difference depending on your subject though - I know lots of secondary subjects are experiencing shortages so may not be so strict. If your MA and other PG quals are also relevant to teaching/education and/or your teaching subject, that should also boost your application.

I also think teaching is more likely to look at your references from your teaching practices and then place heavy emphasis on your performance at interview where you usually do a demo lesson/half-lesson. At the end of the day, schools want someone who is good in the classroom, not the person who can write the best research essay!

I'd suggest having a look at jobs in the region and subject you'd like to teach in and get a feel for what requirements schools are currently advertising with. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
13.94%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.46%
How can I be the best version of myself? (139)
30.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed