Ligand Exchange of hexaaquacobalt(II) ions with hydroxide ions

Watch
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is this reaction reversible ?
And I know that it's an acid base reaction but should I still say that ligand exchange take place ?
One final thing, the reaction produces a blue ppt but upon standing the ppt becomes pink .. why ?
Onlinechemtutor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

It is reversed by addition of dilute hydrochloric acid (the blue/pink precipitate dissolves to reform the pink solution).

It is not ligand exchange. What happens is that the hydroxide ions deprotonate water ligands to change them to hydroxide ligands. Although the effect is the same as ligand exchange it is purely an acid-base reaction. You will be penalised in the exam if you describe it as ligand exchange.

I don't know why it becomes pink on standing, and I think opinion is still divided on this at the higher echelons of chemical research. Needless to say, you are not expected to explain this observation.

Hope this helps!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
Is this reaction reversible ?
And I know that it's an acid base reaction but should I still say that ligand exchange take place ?
One final thing, the reaction produces a blue ppt but upon standing the ppt becomes pink .. why ?
It becomes grey/pink as the cobalt(II) gets oxidised by the air to cobalt(III)
Onlinechemtutor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think that oxidation is the reason for this colour change. Cobalt(III) is usually green, yellow or brown depending upon what other ions or ligands are present. As I said in my reply, I don't think that the reason for the colour change of cobalt(II) hydroxide from blue to pink has yet been fully established. Some resources suggest that it might be caused by a change in coordination number occurring within the mixture.

(Original post by charco)
It becomes grey/pink as the cobalt(II) gets oxidised by the air to cobalt(III)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads