Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to take law, sociology and Art at a-level

I watched some experiences of these a-levels and I definetly want to do art and sociology, but I've heard law is hard and boring subject so I don't know if I want to swap it with pyschology

Can anyone give me their advice or experiences or what kind of things u do in this subject and whether or not U think I shud swap it...thx
Last edited by Zabidoo; 1 year ago
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know what you want to do at uni? Law is a pretty useless a level and most law uni courses dont like it (so ive heard). I think psychology/another subject (depending on what you want to do after a levels) would give you more options
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by blackvoid17)
Do you know what you want to do at uni? Law is a pretty useless a level and most law uni courses dont like it (so ive heard). I think psychology/another subject (depending on what you want to do after a levels) would give you more options
I want to become a primary school teacher and teach ks1 and reception and I dont need any particular a-levels for that...
I thought about maybe doing maths or English but I either hate it at gcse or find it to hard
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zabidoo)
I want to become a primary school teacher and teach ks1 and reception and I dont need any particular a-levels for that...
I thought about maybe doing maths or English but I either hate it at gcse or find it to hard
Maths/english clearly isnt for you then. I would advise you choose psychology if thats another one of your options. Loads of people find it interesting
holli_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did A Level law. It is quite difficult but I thought it was really interesting. Also in my experience unis/employers value it, although other people may have different experiences!
username4310824
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did A-level law and it was good. It wasn't my favourite subject or anything but I did manage to get an A* and didn't really put as much time into it as I did for my other subjects. A lot of the stuff was interesting but it is very memory based so if you don't like the idea of having to memorise a lot of facts and cases then I wouldn't recommend it. You could always have a look through the specification and past papers to see whether you think you'd like it or not.

Also it isn't a ''useless'' A-level. It's falls under the same category as subjects like sociology, psychology and English language.
Civilised
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May I ask what's your technique to doing well in Law?
(Original post by MinaBee)
I did A-level law and it was good. It wasn't my favourite subject or anything but I did manage to get an A* and didn't really put as much time into it as I did for my other subjects. A lot of the stuff was interesting but it is very memory based so if you don't like the idea of having to memorise a lot of facts and cases then I wouldn't recommend it. You could always have a look through the specification and past papers to see whether you think you'd like it or not.

Also it isn't a ''useless'' A-level. It's falls under the same category as subjects like sociology, psychology and English language.
Becca_67
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say it depends what exam board you're on. I am currently in year 13 doing OCR and ita ridiculously hard. It's feeling impossible as there is just too much content
(Original post by Zabidoo)
I want to take law, sociology and Art at a-level

I watched some experiences of these a-levels and I definetly want to do art and sociology, but I've heard law is hard and boring subject so I don't know if I want to swap it with pyschology

Can anyone give me their advice or experiences or what kind of things u do in this subject and whether or not U think I shud swap it...thx
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by holli_)
Also in my experience unis/employers value it
How exactly did you infer this?
MCBB!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Law used to be a pretty crappy A level because there wasn't much structure and thought that had gone into it (basically they just threw it together) but since the A level reforms A level law has improved so much universities including the likes of LSE and Oxbridge have it on their facilitating lists now because it's a difficult subject it's definitely not viewed as soft like it used to be I'm in year 12 and I do A level law there's an incredible amount of content but if you love law and you have a good teacher you should really enjoy the subject 😊
Last edited by MCBB!; 11 months ago
Civilised
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Can you share the website/document stating that Law is on Oxbridge's facilitating list? It's included in LSE's but I can't seem to find anything on Oxbridge.
(Original post by MCBB!)
Law used to be a pretty crappy A level because there wasn't much structure and thought that had gone into it (basically they just threw it together) but since the A level reforms A level law has improved so much universities including the likes of LSE and Oxbridge have it on their facilitating lists now because it's a difficult subject it's definitely not viewed as soft like it used to be I'm in year 12 and I do A level law there's an incredible amount of content but if you love law and you have a good teacher you should really enjoy the subject 😊
milkshakelover
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
id say defo avoid law alevel esp if you want to go into law
it isnt respected at all
stick to traditional academics

yeah if you want easy grades fine, but if you're smart then do something proper like history
qwerty76
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey! So Im currently an a-level law student who takes both psychology and law. Both subjects are highly dependant on your ability to memorise. With law, it requires time and effort and depends on how good your teacher is, as many A level law teachers are not amazing. Psychology is more interesting than law, so revising it can be much easier unless you have a passion for law. If you keep up with revision from the start of the year, and revise each topic accordingly, it really does reduce the stress that most students feel when they have less than a month till exams yet they still are struggling with the foundations. If you want to take law in University then i would say it might be more wise to pick law, although this isn't essential and some University prefer if you didn't take law. psychology topics include learning about the different types of memory, attachment types, and the development of disorders such as OCD. If this sounds more interesting to you than English legal system, negligence and perhaps even human rights then I would suggest psychology is a wiser option.
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
it's a very interesting subject but be mindful that there's a lot of content to learn in a level law, lots of cases, concepts, acts, statutes etc but you should definitely go for it if you like that sort of thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (129)
59.45%
No (47)
21.66%
Not sure (41)
18.89%

Watched Threads