Not teaching enough hours PGCE? Watch

Lazy1212342
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

I am currently on my second placement, 5 weeks in. I am supposed to be teaching at least 50% of a teachers timetable (10-11 hours a week) - however, I'm only teaching 5 and sometimes just 4 hours. The teachers/mentor are supportive and are telling me they are easing me in.
But, for how long? I've got 9 weeks left, and it feels as though I'm making no progress and I could end up in trouble if my uni link tutor finds out.

Although I want to mention it, I am worried it would make matters worse for me. I am aware that one of my tutors came into placement a few weeks ago to discuss with them and he told them how my teaching timetable should be. So, I'm guessing they are aware as to how many hours I'm supposed to be teaching.

But, I just wanted to ask that as a PGCE student, is it a must that you have to teach half a teachers time table by now and build up to at least 80% (16-18 hours a week) by the end. Or could it just be gradual? As now I really want to push my host teachers/mentor to let me teach at least 60% by the end of placement over the 9 weeks.

But, I'm not sure how. Feels as though it'll add more pressure on myself. Does someone have good advice? Thanks
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The norm is around 60-65% for this time of year. Although some PGCE students find that 60% is enough and don't increase. On the other hand, some school direct programmes increase to 80% (or NQT timetable) by the end of their third placement.

In terms of guidance for passing and getting QTS - 150 hours teaching practice is expected. That means you should be on about 8-10 hours a week.

I don't mean to alarm you further, but most people on their first placement would have completed between 4-8 hours a week.

Inform your mentor at school that you have spoken to uni, and everyone else on your course is now working at about 10 hours a week. You have been informed that you must do the same. Don't take no for an answer - you're paying for this experience and so far you are at risk of being under-exposed.
(Original post by Lazy1212342)
Hi everyone,

I am currently on my second placement, 5 weeks in. I am supposed to be teaching at least 50% of a teachers timetable (10-11 hours a week) - however, I'm only teaching 5 and sometimes just 4 hours. The teachers/mentor are supportive and are telling me they are easing me in.
But, for how long? I've got 9 weeks left, and it feels as though I'm making no progress and I could end up in trouble if my uni link tutor finds out.

Although I want to mention it, I am worried it would make matters worse for me. I am aware that one of my tutors came into placement a few weeks ago to discuss with them and he told them how my teaching timetable should be. So, I'm guessing they are aware as to how many hours I'm supposed to be teaching.

But, I just wanted to ask that as a PGCE student, is it a must that you have to teach half a teachers time table by now and build up to at least 80% (16-18 hours a week) by the end. Or could it just be gradual? As now I really want to push my host teachers/mentor to let me teach at least 60% by the end of placement over the 9 weeks.

But, I'm not sure how. Feels as though it'll add more pressure on myself. Does someone have good advice? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
13.94%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.46%
How can I be the best version of myself? (139)
30.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed