RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
what is q b asking for?
It's asking you to use the fact that the line is tangent to the hyperbola to derive the relation a^2m^2 = b^2 + c^2.
Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
It's asking you to use the fact that the line is tangent to the hyperbola to derive the relation a^2m^2 = b^2 + c^2.
It's been a while since I've done a question like this. The point they meet is where both of their gradients are the same?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
It's been a while since I've done a question like this. The point they meet is where both of their gradients are the same?
Yes.

Though I suspect you're not thinking on the most useful track.

Since the roots of the quadratic are the x-coordinates of the points where they meet, and they only meet at one point for a tangent (for a hyperbola at least), it follows that your quadratic has only one root, hence....
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Yes.

Though I suspect you're not thinking on the most useful track.

Since the roots of the quadratic are the x-coordinates of the points where they meet, and they only meet at one point for a tangent (for a hyperbola at least), it follows that your quadratic has only one root, hence....
how do I know there is only one x coordinate?

well, if we have an equation, if there is only 1 root - the discriminate = 0?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how do I know there is only one x coordinate?

well, if we have an equation, if there is only 1 root - the discriminate = 0?
You sub in the eqn. of a line into the eqn. of the hyperbola.

The resultant equation entirely in x is satisfied only by the x-coordinates at which the line and the hyperbola intersect.

Since L is tangent to H, that means there is only one point of intersection (the line touches the hyperbola!) so there is only one real solution to the above equation in x.

Since this equation is a quadratic, you can immediately deduce that this implies a zero discriminant.

Standard C1 stuff; except there you dealt with a parabola instead of a hyperbola. Same reasoning though!
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
You sub in the eqn. of a line into the eqn. of the hyperbola.

The resultant equation entirely in x is satisfied only by the x-coordinates at which the line and the hyperbola intersect.

Since L is tangent to H, that means there is only one point of intersection (the line touches the hyperbola!) so there is only one real solution to the above equation in x.

Since this equation is a quadratic, you can immediately deduce that this implies a zero discriminant.

Standard C1 stuff; except there you dealt with a parabola instead of a hyperbola. Same reasoning though!
"You sub in the eqn. of a line into the eqn. of the hyperbola.

The resultant equation entirely in x is satisfied only by the x-coordinates at which the line and the hyperbola intersect. "

yep, I understand that.

"Since L is tangent to H, that means there is only one point of intersection (the line touches the hyperbola!) so there is only one real solution to the above equation in x."

Ok, that makes sense because I was looking at the graph and the asymptotes and equated them with the talents but they can't be because the whole point is that the graph never meets the asymptote. therefore, there is only one point that they meet.

perfect, thanks.
Attached files
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok, that makes sense because I was looking at the graph and the asymptotes and equated them with the talents but they can't be
I'm not sure what you mean here. The asymptotes don't have a lot to do with anything here.

If you want to think about the question beyond its scope, then you would find that the eqn. of the line (under the condition of being tangent to the hyperbola at the point x=\alpha) gets closer and closer to either of the diagonal asymptotes as |\alpha| \to \infty.

whole point is that the graph never meets the asymptote
Well that's not entirely true. The graph y=\dfrac{x}{1+x^2} meets its own asymptote. You might want to review what an asymptote actually is.
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 week ago
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
I'm not sure what you mean here. The asymptotes don't have a lot to do with anything here.

If you want to think about the question beyond its scope, then you would find that the eqn. of the line (under the condition of being tangent to the hyperbola at the point x=\alpha) gets closer and closer to either of the diagonal asymptotes as |\alpha| \to \infty.

Well that's not entirely true. The graph y=\dfrac{x}{1+x^2} meets its own asymptote. You might want to review what an asymptote actually is.
how does part b help with part c?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?

is part a, the point where both tangents interest?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how does part b help with part c?
H’ is a particular hyperbola whereas H is a general one.

By comparing the two, you can deduce the values of a,b.

Since we are seeking tangents, the condition of part B gives you a condition m,c must satisfy.

Since you are given a point these tangents pass through, it satisfies th line’s eqn so you can deduce another equation satisfied by m,c.

You have two eqns in two unknowns. Solve for them.
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
is part a, the point where both tangents interest?
Not sure what you’re asking here.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Not sure what you’re asking here.
This is how I understand what's going on: tan (blue lines) = tangent, and asy = asymptote. the green dot is where both tangents intersect.

part a gives as a general equation for any tangent for any hyperbola.

we know values for a and b for the question, so we can sub that into the equation, but I don't know what to do next???
Attached files
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is how I understand what's going on: tan (blue lines) = tangent, and asy = asymptote. the green dot is where both tangents intersect.

part a gives as a general equation for any tangent for any hyperbola.

we know values for a and b for the question, so we can sub that into the equation, but I don't know what to do next???
Show your working out. What have you subbed and where?

I'd rather verify you have the correct expressions at this stage.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Show your working out. What have you subbed and where?

I'd rather verify you have the correct expressions at this stage.
so, from my understanding: b gives us an equation that we can use for part c.

after subbing a and b into it, we get: 25m^2 = 16 + c^2

the general equation for the hyperbola and tangent (this gives all and any equations for any tangents for any hyperbola, but once we sub our specific a and b values into it, we only get an equation for any and all tangents for this hyperbola): (25m^2 - 16)x^2 + 50mcx + 25(c^2 + 16) = 0
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so, from my understanding: b gives us an equation that we can use for part c.

after subbing a and b into it, we get: 25m^2 = 16 + c^2

the general equation for the hyperbola and tangent (this gives all and any equations for any tangents for any hyperbola, but once we sub our specific a and b values into it, we only get an equation for any and all tangents for this hyperbola): (25m^2 - 16)x^2 + 50mcx + 25(c^2 + 16) = 0
Ok, so 25m^2 = 16 + c^2 is one equation in two unknowns.

You don't need to touch the quadratic in x at all. That equation tells you the x-coordinates where the lines are tangent to the hyperbola -- not what we want!

You're told that tangents pass through (1,4). So the equation 4 = m + c must be satisfied as well. [you sub the coords into y=mx+c]

So solve for m,c and state the two equations.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?

You don't need to touch the quadratic in x at all. That equation tells you the x-coordinates where the lines are tangent to the hyperbola -- not what we want!

You're told that tangents pass through (1,4). So the equation 4 = m + c must be satisfied as well. [you sub the coords into y=mx+c]

is there any other way to do it?

and wow, that was so much simpler than I was expecting/thinking!
Last edited by Maths&physics; 1 week ago
Maths&physics
Rep:
?

I'm still confused about b. "given that L is a tangent of H, show that..." how does the imply or explicitly state we should look for the discriminate?
Last edited by Maths&physics; 1 week ago
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm still confused about b. "given that L is a tangent of H, so that..." how does the imply or explicitly state we should look for the discriminate?
Discriminant*

I explained this in post #7. Are you struggling to make the connection from 'this quadratic has one solution' to 'discriminant must be zero' ?
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed