The Student Room Group

Business Management

Is Business Management (BSc) from a top-tier University a suitable degree for a career in Investment Banking or Wealth Banking/Management? If not, then please list some suitable degrees
Thank You
Original post by ma09_
Is Business Management (BSc) from a top-tier University a suitable degree for a career in Investment Banking or Wealth Banking/Management? If not, then please list some suitable degrees
Thank You

Hey,

I study Management at the University of Bath and, whilst I have not chosen to pursue a career in Investment Banking or Wealth Management, I know this is a very popular path with many students on my course.

As part of a Management degree, you can expect to cover modules in finance, economics and accounting, amongst a variety of other business functions. Whilst first year is aimed at given you breadth, as you move through the years you can tailor your degree to fit a financial role. In final year at Bath, there is actually a specific Investment Banking module you can study. Additionally, university presents lots of opportunities to gain some experience in your chosen field, for example you could be elected as a society treasurer.

I would really recommend looking into Management courses with a placement year. This is a great way to get your foot in the door at a bank and gain some real experience so you are in a better position upon graduation. Also companies do not expect you to have years of experience in Investment Banking at this early stage. Bath really encourage a placement year, which means there are lots of students here who can help with the application process and answer questions regarding what it is like to work for companies such as Morgan Stanley, BNY Mellon, JP Morgan etc.

There are always companies hosting talks on campus as well, many of which are financial firms. I went to a Barclay's presentation in first year and they were offering Spring Week internships which could escalate into a summer internship, a placement and a graduate job. I also recall an arranged visit to JP Morgan offices during second year, which was a good chance to understand what the company look for in applications and to ask questions about roles in banking.

The great thing about business is that is is so broad, you can try everything in first year and, later, tailor your course and experiences to suit a career in finance.

I hope this helps and just quote me if you have any more questions :smile:

Alice,
3rd Year Management Student, University of Bath
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending