Should i break up with my bf Watch

jamieleanne99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months and I think he wants something really serious.
He has a long term relationship in mind.
I don't see that future, I'm from a higher class and my parents would never approve. I could easily go ahead anyway but it's not just their disapproval, I would feel like my boyfriend is inferior in comparison to all the other boys my cousins will be dating.
All of my exes are from the same area and class as me but i've never loved any of them, I think I love my boyfriend but this disparity between us is hindering my commitment towards him.
I think the past four months can only be described as blissful denial, and now that I'm thinking of these issues it's provoking the same question each time: Is it worth being together and sacrificing want I've always wanted in a boyfriend?
I just needed some advice as my friends would never understand.
jamieleanne99
Rep:
?
bump
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
what’s more important? your love or social prejudice? so what if he’s from a lower class. u really don’t sound humble and if u think that comparing him to other boys your cousins will be dating is a big deal you’re not a good girlfriend/boyfriend (not assuming your gender!) he’s from a lower class, but let’s be honest? if he tears you well, makes you happy i’m sure you can look past that and love him for HIM, just the way he does you, and ignore everyone else because it’s a relationship ONLY between you and him
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jamieleanne99)
So I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months and I think he wants something really serious.
I don't see that future, I'm from a higher class and my parents would never approve. I could easily go ahead anyway but it's not just their disapproval, I would feel like my boyfriend is inferior in comparison to all the other boys my cousins will be dating.
All of my exes are from the same area and class as me but i've never loved any of them, I think I love my boyfriend but this disparity between us is hindering my commitment towards him.
I think the past four months can only be described as blissful denial, and now that I'm thinking of these issues it's provoking the same question each time: Is it worth being together and sacrificing want I've always wanted in a boyfriend?
This Indian or you mean social class UK style?
How old are you both?
jamieleanne99
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
This Indian or you mean social class UK style?
How old are you both?
Is what Indian? What?
I mean social economic class
I'm 19 he's 20
jamieleanne99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
what’s more important? your love or social prejudice? so what if he’s from a lower class. u really don’t sound humble and if u think that comparing him to other boys your cousins will be dating is a big deal you’re not a good girlfriend/boyfriend (not assuming your gender!) he’s from a lower class, but let’s be honest? if he tears you well, makes you happy i’m sure you can look past that and love him for HIM, just the way he does you, and ignore everyone else because it’s a relationship ONLY between you and him
I just feel pressured, I'd be kind of embarrassed to bring him home
I'mComingOxford
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
u stuck in the past
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Is what Indian? What?
I mean social economic class
I'm 19 he's 20
Its your life. Social class is obviously important for you and your parents, so explain that you feel he is an inferior bit of rough and you can no longer carry on. Might be best in the long run.
Not as though you were going to get married. I'm sure he will understand what he is dealing with and its better for him if he finds someone with different views.
HoldThisL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nice. shallow
jamieleanne99
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
u stuck in the past
Its your life. Social class is obviously important for you and your parents, so explain that you feel he is an inferior bit of rough and you can no longer carry on. Might be best in the long run.
Not as though you were going to get married. I'm sure he will understand what he is dealing with and its better for him if he finds someone with different views.
(Original post by HoldThisL)
nice. shallow
I'm not shallow, if he was from the same background as me I'd definitely commit to a long term relationship. He's perfect other than that.
I don't think he'd be able to keep up with me and my family.
HoldThisL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He's perfect other than that.
Then the very least you can do is give him the chance. Do you actually want to let someone that good go?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
That's stupid, you're embarrassed he's not from the same social class and care too much of what others will think. If you love him then that shouldn't matter to you. Plus it is your life, no one else's so you should be with whoever you want not who your expected to be with.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
I'm not shallow, if he was from the same background as me I'd definitely commit to a long term relationship. He's perfect other than that.
I recognise you have different values. Do him a favour and let him find someone else.
Tell him your reasons and I doubt it will take him long to realise why you are doomed.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
maisiex10x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i feel like im in an inspector calls, living in 1945. CLASS!! You need to love him, not worry about what class he's from omg!!
cherlloydfan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
snob
----_----
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lmao he deserves so much better than someone who values someones social class over them as an individual. Break up with him
Youssef Dahi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This attitude disgusts me.
I’m not someone from a higher class. I’ve always been someone from a lower class.
Class is something you should NEVER consider whilst you’re in a relationship.
Class has literally been proven to be the direct antithesis to social reformation. It has never worked.

Until WW1 and 2, they realised that the class system was stupid.

He’s from a lower class. But the only difference he has compared to you is his wealth. Okay??? So what?
Not everyone is as lucky as you.
Be humble.

I recently received a full bursary and conditional offer from Eton college. But I, without a doubt see myself as someone from a lower class, and always will.
Class should never mean ****.

As long as he loves you, cherishes the time with you and cares for you. **** you need him to have money for?
Last edited by Youssef Dahi; 1 week ago
Kimbers2408
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What exactly do you/your family do for him to keep up? By sounds of it he’d be dodging a bullet if you dump him he’s better off with someone who loves him for being him and not with some snooty family looking down their noses from their high and mighty towers! Just remember the higher you are the further you have to fall! Let’s just hope you don’t lose your current ‘class’ status because god knows how you or the upper class would cope
jamieleanne99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
That's stupid, you're embarrassed he's not from the same social class and care too much of what others will think. If you love him then that shouldn't matter to you. Plus it is your life, no one else's so you should be with whoever you want not who your expected to be with.
I recognise you have different values. Do him a favour and let him find someone else.
Tell him your reasons and I doubt it will take him long to realise why you are doomed.
(Original post by maisiex10x)
i feel like im in an inspector calls, living in 1945. CLASS!! You need to love him, not worry about what class he's from omg!!
(Original post by cherlloydfan)
snob
(Original post by ----_----)
Lmao he deserves so much better than someone who values someones social class over them as an individual. Break up with him
(Original post by Youssef Dahi)
This attitude disgusts me.
I’m not someone from a higher class. I’ve always been someone from a lower class.
Class is something you should NEVER consider whilst you’re in a relationship.
Class has literally been proven to be the direct antithesis to social reformation. It has never worked.

Until WW1 and 2, they realised that the class system was stupid.

He’s from a lower class. But the only difference he has compared to you is his wealth. Okay??? So what?
Not everyone is as lucky as you.
Be humble.

I recently received a full bursary and conditional offer from Eton college. But I, without a doubt still someone from a lower class, and will always see myself as that.
Class should never mean ****.

As long as he loves you, cherishes the time with you and cares for you. **** you need him to have money for?
(Original post by Kimbers2408)
What exactly do you/your family do for him to keep up? By sounds of it he’d be dodging a bullet if you dump him he’s better off with someone who loves him for being him and not with some snooty family looking down their noses from their high and mighty towers! Just remember the higher you are the further you have to fall! Let’s just hope you don’t lose your current ‘class’ status because god knows how you or the upper class would cope
Please hear me out, I'm not saying that I agree with how my family would view someone of a lower class but I still have to face it. When I was 13 my cousin was in a relationship with a really lovely smart guy who was from a working class background, she didn't break up with him like our family asked her to and instead became pregnant at 21, no one is even allowed to say her name anymore. She was cut off as if she didn't mean anything and we communicate through Christmas cards! That's not what I want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads