BenLloyd1729
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently in year 12 and hope to study maths at Cambridge in the future. I know I will have to get a grade 1 in STEP II and III in order to go there, which, I'm told, usually entails answering four questions well. I have been doing a good amount of practice, but only really in STEP I, and I want to ask if, at this point, I should be finding STEP I questions easy? I can do most of them (today I finished off the last of the pure questions in the 2017 paper, and I have done the same with 2010 paper, so I think I can do more-or-less all of them given sufficient time), but I often get frustrated at not being able to do them more quickly. STEP II and III are very difficult for me at the moment, although a have started doing a few STEP II questions and have done two or three STEP III questions at different times throughout the year; the prospect of having to sit down in an exam and answer at least four of them correctly in three hours is very daunting!
La Bête
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sounds fine tbh, keep in mind you got over a year to practise them. How are you teaching yourself the content?
BenLloyd1729
Rep:
?
(Original post by La Bête)
Sounds fine tbh, keep in mind you got over a year to practise them. How are you teaching yourself the content?
I have learned most of the A-level content just as a result of being interested in maths. For, example, I have learned about integration by parts and substitution from the internet because I found it interesting, not specifically so that I can do STEP or anything. I guess I should start reading ahead in the textbook as specific preparation for STEP - particularly, I should start learning the further maths content for STEP II and III.
La Bête
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BenLloyd1729)
I have learned most of the A-level content just as a result of being interested in maths. For, example, I have learned about integration by parts and substitution from the internet because I found it interesting, not specifically so that I can do STEP or anything. I guess I should start reading ahead in the textbook as specific preparation for STEP - particularly, I should start learning the further maths content for STEP II and III.
What I do is that I go to year 13 maths lessons during my free time. Perhaps you could do that aswell if you want to learn other concepts in a classroom environment.
BenLloyd1729
Rep:
?
That's a really good idea, actually. I'll see if I can.
(Original post by La Bête)
What I do is that I go to year 13 maths lessons during my free time. Perhaps you could do that aswell if you want to learn other concepts in a classroom environment.
La Bête
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BenLloyd1729)
That's a really good idea, actually. I'll see if I can.
Gl
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
32.65%
No - I have already returned home (10)
10.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
23.47%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (6)
6.12%
No - I live at home during term anyway (27)
27.55%

Watched Threads