Should I reapply? (Computer Science) Watch

anon80192
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I am not sure whether or not I should reapply next year. This year, I applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and Edinburgh. I was rejected by Cambridge following an interview, rejected by Imperial without being given an interview and given the standard offer for the last three.

I have stellar GCSE results, I believe my personal statement was strong (although it could've been stronger, perhaps more theoretical rather than practical and more maths oriented), and I was predicted A*A*A*A in Computer Science, History, Mathematics and Further Mathematics respectively.

I have been struggling with depression for a bit over a year now, and I think it has seriously impacted my motivation and as such I did not do nearly enough preparation for my interviews / admission tests. I just didn't study Mathematics and I was doing poorly in it. I believe that it was a motivation problem rather than an aptitude problem. I think the reason I was rejected from Cambridge was because my Mathematical abilities were not up to scratch and as such I had a hard time solving any problems in the CSAT that were heavily oriented around maths. I believe I was rejected by Imperial because I panicked during the test and also did not perform very well in the maths questions. The fact that they did not even interview me was very upsetting, because I do feel as though I would've been able to demonstrate genuine interest, passion and ability for Computer Science.

As a result of these rejections and my poor performance, I have decided to drop Further Mathematics because otherwise I do not think I would've been able to meet my Warwick offer of A*AA.

The problem is that I am not happy. I am not excited to study at Warwick. I don't know if I would be happy or excited if I had received an offer from Cambridge and/or Imperial, and I also can't say how I would feel if I reapplied and was then given an offer. Although I can say for sure that I would be devastated if I reapplied and was once again rejected by both.

The plan would be to reapply next year and take Further Mathematics, hopefully spending a fair bit of the year improving my personal statement, studying hard for Mathematics, preparing for interviews, perhaps travelling a bit and maybe doing some Computer Science related work. However, I am not a very social person and all my friends are going to university. I do not have any specific plans for travelling or anything, and so I am worried that taking a year to reapply would just lead to my depression getting worse and potentially ending up in a worse situation with regards to my academic prospects.

I do think that I have a talent for the Computer Science, and I believe that under normal mental health circumstances and with some luck I could've been / could still be accepted into Cambridge or Imperial.

I just don't know what to do, and I was hoping that perhaps someone would be able to give me some advice as to what they think would be a good course of action to take with regards to my current situation.

Sorry if I rambled a bit or whatever, but I'm very eager to hear what someone else thinks about my dilemma.

Thanks.
Last edited by anon80192; 1 week ago
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anon80192)
Hello,

I am not sure whether or not I should reapply next year. This year, I applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and Edinburgh. I was rejected by Cambridge following an interview, rejected by Imperial without being given an interview and given the standard offer for the last three.

I have stellar GCSE results, I believe my personal statement was strong (although it could've been stronger, perhaps more theoretical rather than practical and more maths oriented), and I was predicted A*A*A*A in Computer Science, History, Mathematics and Further Mathematics respectively.

I have been struggling with depression for a bit over a year now, and I think it has seriously impacted my motivation and as such I did not do nearly enough preparation for my interviews / admission tests. I just didn't study Mathematics and I was doing poorly in it. I believe that it was a motivation problem rather than an aptitude problem. I think the reason I was rejected from Cambridge was because my Mathematical abilities were not up to scratch and as such I had a hard time solving any problems in the CSAT that were heavily oriented around maths. I believe I was rejected by Imperial because I panicked during the test and also did not perform very well in the maths questions. The fact that they did not even interview me was very upsetting, because I do feel as though I would've been able to demonstrate genuine interest, passion and ability for Computer Science.

As a result of these rejections and my poor performance, I have decided to drop Further Mathematics because otherwise I do not think I would've been able to meet my Warwick offer of A*AA.

The problem is that I am not happy. I am not excited to study at Warwick. I don't know if I would be happy or excited if I had received an offer from Cambridge and/or Imperial, and I also can't say how I would feel if I reapplied and was then given an offer. Although I can say for sure that I would be devastated if I reapplied and was once again rejected by both.

The plan would be to reapply next year and take Further Mathematics, hopefully spending a fair bit of the year improving my personal statement, studying hard for Mathematics, preparing for interviews, perhaps travelling a bit and maybe doing some Computer Science related work. However, I am not a very social person and all my friends are going to university. I do not have any specific plans for travelling or anything, and so I am worried that taking a year to reapply would just lead to my depression getting worse and potentially ending up in a worse situation with regards to my academic prospects.

I do think that I have a talent for the Computer Science, and I believe that under normal mental health circumstances and with some luck I could've been / could still be accepted into Cambridge or Imperial.

I just don't know what to do, and I was hoping that perhaps someone would be able to give me some advice as to what they think would be a good course of action to take with regards to my current situation.

Sorry if I rambled a bit or whatever, but I'm very eager to hear what someone else thinks about my dilemma.

Thanks.
Did you ask for feedback/the actual reason for rejection?

Anyway, I think taking a year out is a good idea. So is reapplying if you're not particularly enthused by Warwick.
anon80192
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Did you ask for feedback/the actual reason for rejection?

Anyway, I think taking a year out is a good idea. So is reapplying if you're not particularly enthused by Warwick.
I believe my school has feedback from Cambridge so I will ask them for that. I was rejected recently from Imperial so I can probably still ask them, should I just email admissions?

It's feeling like a good option, but I'm still not completely sure. Although I am quite scared that I will only have 4 months after my exams finish until I need to submit my application to Cambridge.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anon80192)
I believe my school has feedback from Cambridge so I will ask them for that. I was rejected recently from Imperial so I can probably still ask them, should I just email admissions?

It's feeling like a good option, but I'm still not completely sure. Although I am quite scared that I will only have 4 months after my exams finish until I need to submit my application to Cambridge.
4 months should be plenty of time!
anon80192
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
4 months should be plenty of time!
Hopefully.

Although I am quite worried that Cambridge will almost instantly reject me for taking 3 years to complete 4 a levels.
coco0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If Cambridge is really where you want to go, I'd say go for it.

However, check with them about doing 4 A levels over 3 years though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads