Choosing Swansea over RG - wrong decision?

Watch
Nikita_k
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya,

Just made this account as need some advice desperately as in a difficult situation for law!

I currently hold offers from Birmingham, Exeter, Surrey, Nottingham and Swansea for law and I think I’m going to firm Swansea.

I know it’s not very good, especially in comparison to some of my other choices but I just fell in love with it’s beautiful campus and it just felt right.

I’m predicted AAA so I know you’ll probably think it’s beneath me and I know how competitive law is so would this be a mistake by choosing it.

I’d like to go into commercial law in the future, preferably in London.

If choosing Swansea would be completely stupid then you can tell me but I just got a great feel from it
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tagging Princepieman (hope you don't mind mate)
Nikita_k
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Tagging Princepieman (hope you don't mind mate)
Does he go to Swansea or have anymore knowledge?

I’m convinced everyone on here will think I’m making the wrong decision!
AlexS101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest it probably is the wrong decision if you want to go into commercial law in London. Law is about the pickiest field you can find when it comes to preferred unis and Swansea simply isn't one of the chosen few.
Nikita_k
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexS101)
To be honest it probably is the wrong decision if you want to go into commercial law in London. Law is about the pickiest field you can find when it comes to preferred unis and Swansea simply isn't one of the chosen few.
I understand that but if I get a first and do lots on the side, will I be especially disadvantaged or will somethings be off limits?
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nikita_k)
Hiya,

Just made this account as need some advice desperately as in a difficult situation for law!

I currently hold offers from Birmingham, Exeter, Surrey, Nottingham and Swansea for law and I think I’m going to firm Swansea.

I know it’s not very good, especially in comparison to some of my other choices but I just fell in love with it’s beautiful campus and it just felt right.

x
It is a terrible decision, you're right. But Prince has the experience of studying at both Swansea and at one of the RGs you mentioned, so he'll be be able to tell you that you're making a mistake with authority.
Nikita_k
Rep:
?
It is a terrible decision, you're right. But Prince has the experience of studying at both Swansea and at one of the RGs you mentioned, so he'll be be able to tell you that you're making a mistake with authority.
Ah right

But if I got AAA and a 1st from Swansea, is that much worse than the same from another uni?

I loved the campus, course and city more so than my other choices; which would you pick if not Swansea then?
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,

I’m predicted AAA so I know you’ll probably think it’s beneath me and I know how competitive law is so would this be a mistake by choosing it.

I’d like to go into commercial law in the future, preferably in London.

If choosing Swansea would be completely stupid then you can tell me but I just got a great feel from it
Not saying it's impossible for you to work in London, but you will be missing out on a more rigorous course, ambitious peers, notable academics, potential networking opportunities, and firm exposure. Is it worth it? I do think people can place a little too much weight on campuses. It can be a deciding factor between two 'similar' unis, but I doubt some rose garden or ocean waves can cheer you up when you are chasing the admin team around. I fell in love with Fiji, doesn't mean I want to permanently live there.

Have you visited the other campuses? "Falling in love" with a campus shouldn't automatically eliminate your other choices. The aesthetics can be enticing, but a little practicality never hurt anyone.

Campus > aforementioned factors? Idk, it's for u to decide.

I would not personally encourage the decision, but it's still your choice. Just here to give my reasons and I'm off
Nikita_k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Not saying it's impossible for you to work in London, but you will be missing out on a more rigorous course, ambitious peers, notable academics, potential networking opportunities, and firm exposure. Is it worth it? I do think people can place a little too much weight on campuses. It can be a deciding factor between two 'similar' unis, but I doubt some rose garden or ocean waves can cheer you up when you are chasing the admin team around. I fell in love with Fiji, doesn't mean I want to permanently live there.

Have you visited the other campuses? "Falling in love" with a campus shouldn't automatically eliminate your other choices. The aesthetics can be enticing, but a little practicality never hurt anyone.

Campus > aforementioned factors? Idk, it's for u to decide.

I would not personally encourage the decision, but it's still your choice. Just here to give my reasons and I'm off
Thank you, all I really wanted was people to be honest

Which of my other choices would you advise I lean towards?
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, all I really wanted was people to be honest

Which of my other choices would you advise I lean towards?
I don't know.

Sorry.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Swansea is great for commercial law -- but it's not something you'll be doing as an undergrad. Nor are your UG modules gonna really tip the balance to commercial firms.

I thin you might end up feeling it is not as academic as you like; not being pushed, blah blah. But, if you can accept this, get a high first and you'll be alright in terms of prospects. On to the next step of making your TC app as smexy as poss.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you aware that Law in Swansea is moving to the Bay campus. Exeter also has a stunning campus
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah right

But if I got AAA and a 1st from Swansea, is that much worse than the same from another uni?

I loved the campus, course and city more so than my other choices; which would you pick if not Swansea then?
Honestly, just don't do it. Swansea doesn't get ANY engagement from top law firms whatsoever.. even if you had decent grades you'd still be shooting yourself in the foot going there when you have the opportunity to get much better face time with very good firms by going to one of your other choices. Not to mention that the average student at Swansea is probably more concerned about partying than they are their careers.. it's sort of an enigmatic cultural pull you get sucked into.

I went to Swansea for a year and made practically 0 traction with getting anywhere near my desired careers - had LOTS of fun, went out 4-5 times a week, spent loads of time lounging on the beach with mates but it simply is not worth prioritising that over your potential career.
username4515112
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I studied at Swansea university and graduated last year although in a different subject. I'd say in my experience the student experience and quality of campus was top draw. However the uni doesn't seem to carry much prestige (perhaps yet i.e. the uni is def up and coming). If you are set on some top of the range contract etc I would go to the uni that would increase the chance of getting on it
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sicka ****ing hearing about Exetah.

I am not responding to another thread that mentions it for this application cycle.
username4515112
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Honestly, just don't do it. Swansea doesn't get ANY engagement from top law firms whatsoever.. even if you had decent grades you'd still be shooting yourself in the foot going there when you have the opportunity to get much better face time with very good firms by going to one of your other choices. Not to mention that the average student at Swansea is probably more concerned about partying than they are their careers.. it's sort of an enigmatic cultural pull you get sucked into.

I went to Swansea for a year and made practically 0 traction with getting anywhere near my desired careers - had LOTS of fun, went out 4-5 times a week, spent loads of time lounging on the beach with mates but it simply is not worth prioritising that over your potential career.
i went to swansea also but going out 4-5 times a week where, doing what?
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I'm sicka ****ing hearing about Exetah.

I am not responding to another thread that mentions it for this application cycle.
(the pressure got to him)
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(the pressure got to him)
Same daft ****e over and over.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Same daft ****e over and over.
Mm, we've had a succession of controversial and deliberately provocative threads in the past few days

Young Johan would think 'yum yum another argument has come', but slightly-older Johan thinks 'f*ck off and let me do my reading in peace'.

But the majority of people here are reasonable (bar those who fall into my dreaded list), so that gives me hope for the future.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by brian.griffin)
i went to swansea also but going out 4-5 times a week where, doing what?
jupiter..

(obviously wind street where else?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (59)
15.17%
Uncertainty around my education (68)
17.48%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
10.03%
Isolating with family (24)
6.17%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (15)
3.86%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (29)
7.46%
Loneliness (36)
9.25%
Financial worries (13)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (39)
10.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (28)
7.2%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (39)
10.03%

Watched Threads