The Student Room Group

Choosing Swansea over RG - wrong decision?

Scroll to see replies

@Princepieman

seems very excessive
Original post by Nikita_k
Apologies if this has been debated a lot, I just don’t want to make a decision which would be dramatically consequential to my future.

All my teachers are saying “I’m much more academically capable than Swansea”, which I understand and my parents echo the same sentiment.

They’re pushing me to go to Nottingham as they feel it’s the best and will give me the best career options but I’m not sure about it as it’s too far away from home and seems a bit too big.

What would you advise out of my options? You seem knowledgeable so I’m just trying to gage other ideas :smile:

Exeter or Notts are obviously the most competitive courses out of the five.I would say go and have another look at those two at an offer holder day and go from there.
Original post by brian.griffin
@Princepieman

seems very excessive

course it was haha
I come from Swansea from a non law background but I would of thought reputation would matter for commercial law. However if you really enjoy Swansea as long as you get plenty of work experience it should be fine! :smile: (I do love Swansea btw) I do agree with princepieman 100% as much as I’d want to vouch for my own university you should choose Nottingham to fulfil your career goals. I’m moving to a RG for my part time masters. With your grades I’d argue you are too academically good for Swansea I got BCD to get in.
(edited 5 years ago)
There are a number of issues. Firstly the comments about the time spent socializing reflect more on the individual than the university. There are students everywhere who spend far more time socializing than working. It is for every individual to decide how they allocate their time. You should try and go to the best university you can and this would be Exeter or Nottingham. Exeter is a far smaller city than either Nottingham or Swansea and you need to decide which university you prefer. You are going to be wherever you decide for 3 years at least and it is vital you are comfortable wherever you decide. If at all possible attend visit days to help you come to a decision.
Reply 25
Original post by swanseajack1
There are a number of issues. Firstly the comments about the time spent socializing reflect more on the individual than the university. There are students everywhere who spend far more time socializing than working. It is for every individual to decide how they allocate their time. You should try and go to the best university you can and this would be Exeter or Nottingham. Exeter is a far smaller city than either Nottingham or Swansea and you need to decide which university you prefer. You are going to be wherever you decide for 3 years at least and it is vital you are comfortable wherever you decide. If at all possible attend visit days to help you come to a decision.

Thanks for the insight :smile:

I’ve visited all three and Swansea was my favourite by some distance but you feel as if it’ll be a mistake I suppose?
Reply 26
Original post by Princepieman
i'd obviously advocate for my own university.. so if you don't mind puffer coats and flares, people from surrey (or "just outside of London") and fat hills then come on over to the place that bleeds green! the other uni with "university park" as a campus is also good.

I guess you’re saying to come to Exeter? 😂
Reply 27
So you think going to a university beneath my abilities is a bad idea, even if I prefer it?

Would Birmingham be a bad choice if you’re saying go to Notts? Why Notts?
Reply 28
Original post by LeapingLucy
You must know that Nottingham is the better option.

You clearly have strong career goals - you want to end up as a commercial lawyer in London. If you achieve it, you could spend up to 50 years in that career, in that place.

By contrast, you will only spend 3 years at university. You have to choose the university that is going to increase your chances of being where you want to be for the next 40 years, rather than making a short-sighted decision.

That’s very true I suppose.

Out of interest, why is everyone saying Notts? Is it the best choice? Didn’t think Exeter or Birmingham were bad?
Reply 29
Original post by Scotney
Exeter or Notts are obviously the most competitive courses out of the five.I would say go and have another look at those two at an offer holder day and go from there.

Is Birmingham not competitive?
Reply 30
Original post by Themysticalegg
I come from Swansea from a non law background but I would of thought reputation would matter for commercial law. However if you really enjoy Swansea as long as you get plenty of work experience it should be fine! :smile: (I do love Swansea btw) I do agree with princepieman 100% as much as I’d want to vouch for my own university you should choose Nottingham to fulfil your career goals. I’m moving to a RG for my part time masters. With your grades I’d argue you are too academically good for Swansea I got BCD to get in.

Is Nottingham the best out of my 5?

That’s what I seem to have gathered from what everyone is saying.
The rankings suggest Nottingham is the better for Law but Exeter the better overall. However rankings are only worth considering if there is a huge gap and the differences between Nottingham, Birmingham and Exeter isnt big enough to influence your decision.
Original post by Nikita_k
Is Nottingham the best out of my 5?

That’s what I seem to have gathered from what everyone is saying.

I'd say you can't really go wrong with Nottingham/Exeter depends on favoured modules, you can also look into the profiles of professors/lecturers who will be teaching you. :smile:

P.S. If you have any questions about Swansea, feel free to ask. :smile:
Hi Nikita_k,

First of all, I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed visiting Swansea!

A lot of the discussion in this thread has focused on career prospects for our students, so I just wanted to address that with some information for you to help you come to an informed decision.

Our law degrees are designed to enhance skills and prospects and give students opportunities for work placements, internships and international experience. We have a dedicated Employability and Placements Officer and also enjoy strong links with a wide range of organisations, including local solicitors, international institutions, government and the police force, so you can obtain invaluable first hand experience within the workplace.

We have a focus on experiential learning, and have a range of projects and societies to join or work with including the Swansea Law Clinic, Miscarriage of Justice Project and Street Law.

If you have any questions at all, please let us know and we'd be more than happy to help!

Jamie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending