Applying for Medicine but want to do Dentistry Watch

katherine340
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,
I am planning to apply to 2 dentistry courses, 2 oral health science courses and I have 1 choice left which i am thinking to choose Medicine.
As I have low chance of getting into dentistry as I don't quite meet the entry requitements. For medicine i meet the entry requirements.
I am concerned that universities will think I am not really sure what i want to do by choosing medicine as my 5th choice.
Any comments will be helpful!
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by katherine340)
Hello,
I am planning to apply to 2 dentistry courses, 2 oral health science courses and I have 1 choice left which i am thinking to choose Medicine.
As I have low chance of getting into dentistry as I don't quite meet the entry requitements. For medicine i meet the entry requirements.
I am concerned that universities will think I am not really sure what i want to do by choosing medicine as my 5th choice.
Medicine and Dentistry are quite different... Given how competitive medicine is, I highly doubt you'll even get an interview with a personal statement tailored towards dentistry.

Have you even done any medical work experience? Do you know what the course involves? The career itself?

I suggest you consider another course - medicine just is not a suitable backup option for anybody. I feel you're underestimating the difficulty of the application process.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Med schools can quite easily fill their courses with applicants who are 100% commmitted to medicine. They will reject an application that shows uncertainty.
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,
How do you meet the criteria for medicine but not for dentistry? What are you lacking that dentistry requires that medicine doesn’t?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
katherine340
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
How do you meet the criteria for medicine but not for dentistry? What are you lacking that dentistry requires that medicine doesn’t?
I study in scotland and we study "Scottish Highers" so for dentistry i need 5 highers with minimum AAABB and for medicine they want 4 higher with AABB.
I am currently doing only 4, which means if i get these grades i can apply to medicine. However I have spoken several to admissions in the uni i want to go and they say that i might be considered for dentristry but its too hard to compete with the people that have the 5 highers.
mo t
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it's a waste of 2 options applying for dentistry if you don't fulfil their basic requirements. Also it's better to focus on one competitive subject.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I study in scotland and we study "Scottish Highers" so for dentistry i need 5 highers with minimum AAABB and for medicine they want 4 higher with AABB.
I am currently doing only 4, which means if i get these grades i can apply to medicine. However I have spoken several to admissions in the uni i want to go and they say that i might be considered for dentristry but its too hard to compete with the people that have the 5 highers.
Not every dentistry course has these requirements. Most of them talk about advanced highers so it's difficult to know from websites but send them some emails asking.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 week ago
HTHR
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For interest, which medical school only needs 4 highers?
shockwave19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Either go all in with Dentistry or all in with Medicine. Use 4 choices for one of these and then use the 5th choice for oral health science.
maxymoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know any Scottish medical school that needs just 4 highers. You need 5 and to be in with a good chance all A’s. Most minimum requirements are AAAAB. Dentistry is v competitive to. We have a friend who got AAABB at higher and has failed to even get an interview . You need to decide which you want then go for it and have your fifth choice as something you can easily achieve so you have a back up.
Last edited by maxymoo; 1 week ago
maxymoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Not every dentistry course has these requirements:
Grades AAA-AAB including a grade A in biology and one further science from chemistry, physics, maths, and psychology.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...dental-surgery

I understand that plymouth is quite far away and you wouldn't get it free, but have a look around.

AA grades in Chemistry and Biology

Cardiff only want 2
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/det...micYearId=2019
These are advanced highers not highers. Your other option would be to do 3 advanced highers hoping to achieve A and B’s then apply. They might then not mind about only 4 highers but you would need to check with the unisS. This is for dentistry or medicine
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maxymoo)
These are advanced highers not highers. Your other option would be to do 3 advanced highers hoping to achieve A and B’s then apply. They might then not mind about only 4 highers but you would need to check with the unisS. This is for dentistry or medicine
Good point, though Highers grades aren't mentioned so there's not a lot that can be done through just browsing websites. Point still stands so I've edited my post.
katherine340
Rep:
?
University of Dundee want 4 highers for Medicine
Last edited by katherine340; 1 week ago
katherine340
Rep:
?
I really really want to study Dentistry. I am gonna take Advanced Higher Chemistry and Biology.
The reason I want to apply for Medicine is because I wouldn't mind doing that as I wanted to be a doctor before I became passionate about doing Dentistry. Otherwise I am 100% focused on Dentistry, I go to events and I often go to the university to do things for dentistry.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
University of Dundee want 4 highers for Medicine
Dundee want AAAAB in highest for medicine
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
katherine340
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Dundee want AAAAB in highest for medicine
If you look at their 2020 entry prospectus which came out a few days ago it says AAAB (min) - AAAAB(typ)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you look at their 2020 entry prospectus which came out a few days ago it says AAAB (min) - AAAAB(typ)
When things are expressed like this, the lower offers are typically for contextual or WA applicants and it is highly unlikely you would be considered with these grades without these flags
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (151)
18.67%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.06%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.22%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.77%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.53%

Watched Threads