Braces advice Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, first of all if this is in the wrong category then can an admin please move it thanks.

Basically I’m 17 and used to suck my thumb when I was a child which has caused me an overbite.

I have had braces since last July and my orthodontist wanted me to have some teeth removed to allow the overbite to reduce but I said no and now I’m worried that maybe braces alone may not fix my overbite?

I am really self conscious when it comes to my smile, I don’t want to end up getting my braces off with no kind of difference to my smile.

I have considered jaw surgery to correct it, but I doubt I’d be allowed it on the nhs.

Has anyone else refused tooth extraction for an overbite? How did your smile turn out in the end? And how long did you have your braces on?

Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Salmaaa_xo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey I’ve had tooth extraction last year and it was 4 teeth removed (2 at the top from each side and 2 at the bottom). At first I was super insecure about my smile coz I had gaping holes in my mouth, but after a couple months the holes got smaller and now they are so tiny you can’t notice them. Idk how my teeth would have turned out without the extraction but you should definitely ask your orthodontist about how long it would take. (I’m guessing they will suggest using elastics- make sure you always wear them). Good luck for whatever you decide!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
henryf8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey sorry I can't answer your question. However I'm in a situation now I'm 17 and a half and only realising now that braces is what I really want as I didn't know it wold fix my overbite. I was referred about 2 years ago but I was never told braces could benefit my overbite, but only my teeth, and it wouldn't be covered under NHS anyway. Therefore I declined as I didn't want to make my mum pay loads of money for something I didn't realise I need. But now I'm really desperate for it and I'm afraid it's too late as I'm almost 18. If it wasn't covered initially, will the price be the same if I'm over 18? Sorry I know you're probably not an expert but I don't really know who to ask.
alicemcdermott98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Get them taken out, and make sure that you push your orthodontist for anything else that will make your teeth perfect. No pain = no gain.
Something they don't like saying because it makes people insecure is headgear that you have to wear at night, but it will make your teeth absolutely perfect.
Next time ask him/her to take the teeth out and if there are any other treatment options in addition to your braces that will help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads