WHY?? Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It's generally agreed that the problem with the brexit process is that while the majority of the electorate want brexit, the majority of MPs don't.
My question is, why don't they?
Is it because they really believe they know better what's for the country, or is it because they have investments and businesses which are going to do better if we remain in, or is there another reason?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by NJA)
It's generally agreed that the problem with the brexit process is that while the majority of the electorate want brexit, the majority of MPs don't.
Is it because they really believe they know better what's for the country, or is it because they have investments and businesses which are going to do better if we remain in, or is there another reason?
A majority of the electorate didn’t vote for Brexit. A larger minority of the electorate supported Brexit than the minority that supported Remain.

If you took a vote of MPs tomorrow on Brexit or No Brexit there would be a majority for Brexit, not because a majority thought it was right but because a majority would think that the referendum result should be honoured.

However, as soon as you ask the sort of question that the electorate were not asked in 2016, what sort of Brexit, any majority falls away.

That faithfully represents the view of the public as well. No single version of Brexit beats Remain in any opinion polling. Brexit supporters have been singularly unable to build a coalition for any one version of Brexit.

We will see later today that May’s Deal is more popular than a No Deal Brexit. May’s Deal obtained 202 votes in January and 242 votes in March. No Deal will get fewer than 150 votes today.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by NJA)
Eitlism
TensorTympani
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
They probably have investments in the EU which will become harder to handle if we leave the EU.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads