The Student Room Group

I want to go to university but don't know how

Hello. I am writing to explain my situation and really ask for help. Long story short I'm an idiot desperate to get into a university to study mathematics. I have one a level in computer science at an awful grade through no fault but my own. I started a degree with the open University for mathematics around a month ago and will get my results for my first two modules in early October. I am desperate to get into a university even through a foundation course so I can get my life back on track and get the important life lessons going to university offers.

Any advice is very much appreciated thank you.
Original post by Bailey322
Hello. I am writing to explain my situation and really ask for help. Long story short I'm an idiot desperate to get into a university to study mathematics. I have one a level in computer science at an awful grade through no fault but my own. I started a degree with the open University for mathematics around a month ago and will get my results for my first two modules in early October. I am desperate to get into a university even through a foundation course so I can get my life back on track and get the important life lessons going to university offers.

Any advice is very much appreciated thank you.

You simply need to do some research into what the entry requirements are for the mathematics degrees you are interested in.

They normally require A level Maths and preferably Further Maths at A or A*.
You normally need the equivalent to 3 A levels worth of level 3 qualifications, so
A level Maths, Further maths and one other A level might work.
A foundation course may have lower requirements, but costs an extra years worth of student finance.
You may be able to use some of your OU study results, but not all unis will accept.
You should also be aware OU Study can start to deplete your entitlement to student finance, so make sure you understand what you are doing and have a clear plan.
You will also need GCSE Maths and English.

You can look up maths courses here.
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=maths+and+foundation&SubjectText=&ProviderText=&AutoSuggestType=&SearchType=&SortOrder=ProviderAtoZ&AcademicYearId=2019&ClearingOptOut=False&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&UcasTariffPointsMin=0&UcasTariffPointsMax=144%2B&ProviderText=&add=Subject_Mathematics&SubjectText=&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=&CurrentView=Provider&__RequestVerificationToken=N_uI5moOeVPA7j1yPj5pxUUERDfiMaX6xRkqMHNyDAGKZDExIqwfq93JQoXGUYqCekeRF21wWyO2ybtsKnY7sWbHKLwm86cV6lo98t_n0MA1

If you go to careers or a the library then see if you can get sight of a copy of Heap degree course offers as that lists what you need by grades accepted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEAP-2019-University-Degree-Course/dp/1911067885
You need to do the research and think whether you are capable of meeting those requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending