The Student Room Group

Has anybody done Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? (CBT)

Hi guys,
Has anyone on here done CBT before ? I've read a lot of information online about it, but I'm still not clear on how exactly a CBT session is carried out.

The thing is, I've created a diary app and one of my acquaintances (who underwent CBT) mentioned that it would be nice if I could tailor it to fit the needs of people who do CBT. He mentioned something about patients maintaining a thought diary.
Could you introduce me to someone who could help me with this? Any CBTherapists or people who are undergoing the therapy that I could show my app to and get some ideas as to how to proceed?
My mum is a CBT therapist. I was a secretary at her work for a bit and she had me create a thought diary. Depending on the needs of the individual (as there isn't exactly one way to do CBT) the diaries can be anything from just a simple space to put thought processes to spaces to list the thought, then how the thought progressed, then how they dealt with the thought. But as far as I'm aware a large amount of it is rumination and how to avoid it - so basically how to stop feeding into negative thoughts. Maybe you could ask the person who suggested it how they'd like it laid out?
Thanks for responding, anon. I don't really have the freedom to ask this person about his very personal issues as I only know him in professional circles. May I ask, if the therapist has access to reading these entries or is it only meant for the patient?
And when you created the thought diary, was it fully created on paper or did you employ any software to ease the job?

Thank you once again : )
Original post by Anonymous
My mum is a CBT therapist. I was a secretary at her work for a bit and she had me create a thought diary. Depending on the needs of the individual (as there isn't exactly one way to do CBT) the diaries can be anything from just a simple space to put thought processes to spaces to list the thought, then how the thought progressed, then how they dealt with the thought. But as far as I'm aware a large amount of it is rumination and how to avoid it - so basically how to stop feeding into negative thoughts. Maybe you could ask the person who suggested it how they'd like it laid out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending