The Student Room Group

Geography at oxford

I’m looking to do geography at oxford but I’m not sure how much of a chance I have to get in. If there is no chance I’m probably not going to apply.

I’m on track to get a*aa in my a levels, and that is the minimum requirements for s geography degree. I was wondering how much of a chance I would have compared to people who are getting a*a*a*. I’m really interested in the subject, so I think would do well in an interview.

However I don’t want to waste my time if I didn’t have any chance because my grades aren’t amazing. My GCSE grades were average, I got mostly 7s, 2, 8s and 1, 9 (the 9 was in geography). If anyone is going through the application process or already a geography undergrad at oxford, any advice would be really helpful :smile:
in my humble opinion, the ancient and hallowed university of Oxford is always worth applying to. If you think you might like it, then you might get in.

For Geo, you need to start here https://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/colleges.html (as the different colleges all have slight differentiation by subject - which tradition can be broken, but best to stick - or just make a general Open application rather than to a specific place)

there seems to be no CAT, HAT, MAT, MLAT, PAT, OLAT for Geo - but why not try some of the old papers in some of these acceptence tests, it'll ease you in gently in case a GAT should 'magically' appear next year.

go for it!
Reply 2
Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely check those out.
Original post by Connor8484
I’m looking to do geography at oxford but I’m not sure how much of a chance I have to get in. If there is no chance I’m probably not going to apply.

I’m on track to get a*aa in my a levels, and that is the minimum requirements for s geography degree. I was wondering how much of a chance I would have compared to people who are getting a*a*a*. I’m really interested in the subject, so I think would do well in an interview.

However I don’t want to waste my time if I didn’t have any chance because my grades aren’t amazing. My GCSE grades were average, I got mostly 7s, 2, 8s and 1, 9 (the 9 was in geography). If anyone is going through the application process or already a geography undergrad at oxford, any advice would be really helpful :smile:

Hi :smile: I'm also looking at doing geography at Oxford! My GCSEs grades aren't as strong though which is also why I am hesitant in applying but I think it would be a great opportunity, although the application process does seem quite draining. What do you prefer human or physical? I spoke to my head of year about it & they said it might be worth emailing admission tutors to get their advice as well as just going along on open days to see if you actually like the university and what Oxford has to offer!
Hi there,

Firstly, in my experience Geography at Oxford has been a lot of fun and is a great course to apply for if you’re enthusiastic about the subject. For some of the best information on what the course is like I would recommend checking out our alternative prospectus here: https://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/Alternative-Prospectus-2018.pdf, as well as broader details on the website: https://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/

In terms of GCSE grades, there’s currently no minimum required grades and the application process takes into account GCSEs contextualised to the school in which they were taken, rather than comparing them at the same standard for all applicants. Secondly, provided you’re reaching the A*AA grade requirement at A level there shouldn’t be a problem and I wouldn’t expect students predicted A*A*A* to see a significant advantage. Finally, the application process tends to take into account various parts of your application, not just grades, so this will include things like your personal statement as well as the interview.

Geography used to require taking the TSA (an admissions test) as part of the application as well, however, as of this year its no longer required.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest