Dropout who made £2m in two years calls uni "biggest con" in the world

Watch
candokoala
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Jake Lee, 20, dropped out of his economics degree at Loughborough two years ago.

Having launched a trading currency business called Improve Your Future, he now drives a £120,000 BMW i8 and has offices in Canary Wharf, London.

He's now telling other students to do the same.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/13/drop-...thers-8893993/

What do you think? Tempted?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to uni because the role in the RAF I wanted to pursue required an engineering degree.
How does Jake propose getting around that?
candokoala
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
We need an AMA with Jake!
(Original post by Drewski)
I went to uni because the role in the RAF I wanted to pursue required an engineering degree.
How does Jake propose getting around that?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not against the idea of not going to university if it's not required, but presenting it all as a con is sensationalist and irresponsible.

Perhaps that's a lesson he would have learnt had he stayed at uni...
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He's part of the 1% minority that can have a business idea succeed, it's just a shame he dropped out of uni to do so. If it were so easy to run a business, nobody would be getting a degree...
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Simply ridiculous, what about the others who dropped out and made a business, stay in Uni.
username3941996
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But he mentions he got where he’s at because of education. Being motivated helped him get through his GCSEs so Further education does help since without it, he wouldn’t be where he is
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't want to start a business.
sned hlep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check how many of the people he is employing has Uni degrees then... Probably most of them.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your chosen career path requires a degree, go to uni. If it doesn't, then don't. Seems quite simple, but you get ignorant people like this that assume everyone wants to start a business, or ignorant people who think the only way to be successful in life is if you have a degree or that merely having a degree makes you employable. Both are wrong.
Last edited by It's****ingWOODY; 1 year ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by candokoala)
Jake Lee, 20, dropped out of his economics degree at Loughborough two years ago.

Having launched a trading currency business called Improve Your Future, he now drives a £120,000 BMW i8 and has offices in Canary Wharf, London.

he sounds like a loser.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol bet this Lee got like all D's in his a levels which is why he only got to and flunked at Loughborough.
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is literally a con because its "advertised" as being this great thing to do. Misleading statements on skills being in demand etc, when in reality graduate jobs are oversubscribed and underpaid compared to other more vocational qualifications/ starting your own business/getting into a trade/ numerous other options. People who didn't go to uni think you are mad to spend years of your life and so much effort into developing yourself, then potentially years more fighting over a £25k a year job against a large number of similarly qualified people.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not like we are going to see a "man dropped out of uni and is still a failiure article are we"
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Not everyone wants, can or needs to be an entrepreneur.

University didnt do Jim Ratcliffe any harm and he is a bit more successful than Jake.

Ratclife studied chemical engineering at Birmingham University, and got an MBA from London Business School. Now the richest man in the UK at £20billion+
Quixote.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being an entrepreneur isn't something you can succeed at just by trying. I think it requires a certain type of person and set of skills. So many people would be left broke, with poor career prospects if they just decided to drop out of university.

Personally, I need a degree for what I want to do, otherwise I probably would have avoided university. Especially since I came in my mid-20's.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by candokoala)

Sigh.

You only ever hear from the successful dropouts. Pure survivorship bias.
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This CAN happen. In fact, it DOES happen. Note that his prospective degree was in economics. This is basically a degree in 'talking about making money'. A mate of mine did a master's degree in "Engineering Management". That is basically a degree in talking about doing engineering. Myself, i did a master's degree in "Communications Engineering" - i.e. designing communications systems. My degree is a degree in DOING engineering. There is quite a difference between talking about something, and doing it!! Here in the states, nobody is going to trust you with running (or being the assistant helping run) a 'reasonably sized' engineering system [satellite communications comes to mind] - where 'reasonably sized' is defined as $1 million or more - unless you have a master's degree in an appropriate engineering area - such as communications engineering. This is true, even though the people making the 'hire/don't hire' decision on you, don't have master's degrees in engineering, or even bachelor's degrees in engineering. This is not fair, this doesn't make any sense, but it is the way it is.

What it puts you in, is the position where you have people that are less knowledgeable, sometimes a LOT less knowledgeable, telling you what to do and how to do it. Even though you may know better, they WILL NOT listen, insist on their own way, and when the project comes crashing down - blame you for the failure - even though you warned them well ahead of time. This happened to me several times, i got tired of it, and fixed the problem by going out and getting a master's.

When you are in an area such as 'financial management' - where arm waving and 'blowing smoke' counts for as much or more than technical knowledge - you may get away with it. I can't see how you could in a really technical subject - such as satellite engineering. Cheers.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Sigh.

You only ever hear from the successful dropouts. Pure survivorship bias.
Exactly, how many people did the same but failed. There is a huge amount of luck required and it only goes to a few.
Also not many people want to run a business.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Who'd take uni advice from a dropout?! :rolleyes:

(I've dropped out like 5 times, no one givers a fk about my advice )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads