cameoolymipia90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Does anyone know if it is possible to interrelate in nursing after 3rd year in a medicine - so to qualify as a nurse in one year?
I'm looking to do this not only because I could self fund better working as a nurse rather then a healthcare assistant but also because I would appreciate a year out of med school, in a new city, and think this would make me a better doctor.

Any advice would be great.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cameoolymipia90)
Does anyone know if it is possible to interrelate in nursing after 3rd year in a medicine - so to qualify as a nurse in one year?
I'm looking to do this not only because I could self fund better working as a nurse rather then a healthcare assistant but also because I would appreciate a year out of med school, in a new city, and think this would make me a better doctor.

Any advice would be great.
No.

Intercalation works because the first two years of the medical degree are basic sciences which are common to all life sciences degrees. Therefore, adding on an extra year of med school genetics/physiology/anatomy/pharmacology will turn it into three years of science education i.e. the end result is an iBSc.

Nursing is not a science degree and the content you have studied in the first two years of a medical degree will have very little relevance to nursing, and vice versa. There's also the fact that you would have missed out on nursing placements and the other non-university based work they do in order to fulfil their course requirements.

Even if you could do this, realistically the most you could do is nursing bank shifts around full time medical school placements - will that make such a significant difference compared with HCA work? It may also make nursing revalidation more difficult, but I'm not certain about the specifics of this.
cameoolymipia90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I do feel like there is a lot of cross over between medicine and nursing - particularly in terms of practical skills such as venopuncture canulation, catherisation etc which I have learnt this year. We are on the ward 9-5 every day and I have a extensive back ground in A&E in a HCA role. I also have a previous degree and therefore could do a graduate nursing scheme which is 2 years total so was hoping there would be some credit given for previous quantifiable knowledge.

In terms of the bank shifts available as a nurse compared to a health care assistant this would make a huge difference to me financially as i am really struggling and cant see how i will fund 2 more years without taking a year out to work. Also by doing a year nursing qualification I will have time to work in that year.

Secondly, I am exhausted with med school and am not sure if this is the correct path for me - hopefully a year away will show me if i would rather be a nurse. (graduate quicker, more choice over jobs, no early specialization,choice on location and hospital, no compulsory f1/f2 training, can choose where to live rather then being sent all over the country.) I feel trapped and I also hate the city my med school is in, its very boring and i cant face the thought of doing 2 more years here.

Basically anyone know of any other options/anyone had any experience of this?

(Original post by Democracy)
No.

Intercalation works because the first two years of the medical degree are basic sciences which are common to all life sciences degrees. Therefore, adding on an extra year of med school genetics/physiology/anatomy/pharmacology will turn it into three years of science education i.e. the end result is an iBSc.

Nursing is not a science degree and the content you have studied in the first two years of a medical degree will have very little relevance to nursing, and vice versa. There's also the fact that you would have missed out on nursing placements and the other non-university based work they do in order to fulfil their course requirements.

Even if you could do this, realistically the most you could do is nursing bank shifts around full time medical school placements - will that make such a significant difference compared with HCA work? It may also make nursing revalidation more difficult, but I'm not certain about the specifics of this.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cameoolymipia90)
Basically anyone know of any other options/anyone had any experience of this?
As has already been said, no, this is not possible. For the reasons given - BSc is science degree and first 2 years of medicine is science. First 2 years of medicine is not first two years of nursing and all the placements and mandatory practice hours etc in order to be able to gain professional registration with NMC.

Nursing is so much more than procedures. In fact, I’m very happy to be corrected on this but the nurses I know who have venepuncture / cannulation skills (and that is not all nurses by any means, especially outside of ED) did not learn this at nursing school but on a course later after qualification.

Nursing is NOT medicine-lite. I am an SpR, but I would be RUBBISH at many / most nursing things - as I’ve not been trained in them. And that wouldn’t just take a year.

If you’re feeling the way you are, it sounds as though a year out to consider your options and potentially earn some money might be a sensible plan. Remember that ED nursing is quite different to adult inpatient nursing - maybe try to get a variety of experience in different nursing settings if this is what you’re thinking about switching to?

Have you considered physician associate if you already have a degree and enjoy the clinical aspect but don’t want to rotate and get sent around the country?

Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads