How long did it take you to write your Dissertation Watch

procrastinator00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just wondering for reference. In total should be 8,000 words, and I've written around 2,000 so far. Diss is due in around 3 weeks.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by procrastinator00)
Just wondering for reference. In total should be 8,000 words, and I've written around 2,000 so far. Diss is due in around 3 weeks.
If it's due in 3 weeks, you need to be doing 2,000 words per week at the very least, as you'll also need time to do referencing, final edits, formatting checks etc.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If a uni module is 200 hours and a dissertation is usually worth 2 modules, that makes it a 400 hour task. I'm not going to pretend that everyone puts those hours in, or that you can't do well with limited time. But it's not a simple matter of write loads of words.

As PhoenixFortune says, you've got around 6000 words to write in 3 weeks. That's 2000 words a week. But that doesn't factor in any of the other stuff you need to do (referencing, research, proof reading, etc.). 2000 words is a few hours work. 6000 words of a dissertation is not a few hours work.

And what other people spent on it is irrelevant. I'm not even in my final year yet and I'm planning my dissertation now. That has absolutely no relevance to you though, nor is knowing that even remotely useful.
kayleighisonfire
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did my undergrad diss in about three weeks and still managed to get a 2:1 for it. It's doable but you have to be prepared to work hard.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have to write like 30,000 words in two days for a freaking A level coursework, it does not mean my coursework is due in two days but I want to finish it in two days to get it out of the way
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The RAR)
I have to write like 30,000 words in two days for a freaking A level coursework, it does not mean my coursework is due in two days but I want to finish it in two days to get it out of the way
Why would you rush it? Isn't it more important to actually do high quality work, even if that means taking your time over it?

Don't look back and regret rushing is all I'm saying.
soony
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone need help in academic paper or dissertation writing ??then contact me
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
Two weeks, 20k words.

(Original post by soony)
Does anyone need help in academic paper or dissertation writing ??then contact me
Be very careful how you answer this question: are you offering a dissertation-writing service?
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by soony)
I help students in writing dissertations and their academic papers, Do you need?
Offering this kind of service is forbidden on TSR, as it violates the requirement that all educational establishments have, that a student's submitted work is entirely their own work.

Also your writing - what little of it I can see here - is bloody awful. I hope that, whatever writing you do do for people, you aren't charging much.

Finally, I am a professional writer, with half a million words published and another couple of hundred thousand words in various states of editing/formatting. If I ever come to you, it will be for nothing more demanding than toilet paper.
soony
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is all about the other people think about your writing, do not worry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads