Worried about A-levels potentially holding me back in becoming a solicitor Watch

JakeTomkins2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello all,

I am in my last year of sixth form and I am predicted AAC on my A-levels. The C is in economics as I have had a very rough time with teachers. In year 12, I had my business teacher teach me economics which got me nowhere but in year 13 it gets worse... The actual economics teacher has been struggling with health and missed around two terms of lessons. Now she has just announced that she is leaving at the Easter half term - three weeks before my exam! (I am telling you this because some firms take this into consideration).

My work experience is quite good however. I attended the Allen&Overy Smart Start course, the Baker McKenzie Furture Readiness Programme and have been to Citi Bank in Canary Wharf and worked with their legal department.

I have been offered a place at The University of Exeter to study Law with Business. This course is perfect for me as the modules for business are more like economics, which I thoroughly enjoy. As well as this, they have lowered the offered grade from AAA to BBB due to the socio-economic implications of where I live.

If I go to this university and get a first, will my A-levels of AAC hinder my chances of getting a training contract ? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your grades are perfectly fine for securing a decent TC. Whether that be with a corporate/commercial firm in the city or whether that be with any other type of firm.
workinglawyer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You might run into auto-filters for the bigger outfits.
Kitta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've got a TC with a Magic Circle firm, and only got ABB at A Level. As long as you secure the 2:1 and get a strong extra-curricular background (ie be involved in several societies and committees) at Uni you'll do fine.

Of course, some law firms are more strict about it but even some US firms who outright stated they require AAB minimum still offered me vac schemes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads