Should i just accept that i am not smart enough? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I did well to begin with and was getting top grades at AS but in March I got sick and that is affecting my performance in class and exams and i'm struggling in two subjects now, one of them i am failing in. Before i wasnt struggling. Should i just accept that I am not smart enough and admit defeat/give up?
Tilzwas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's understandable as to why you're struggling, it's hard enough if you've got full attendance never mind being sick. However giving up is not the answer! Confide in friends, family and your teachers and try and gather support if you can, it's hard, but you need to try and be positive about this so that you can ace it, which you totally can!
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did well to begin with and was getting top grades at AS but in March I got sick and that is affecting my performance in class and exams and i'm struggling in two subjects now, one of them i am failing in. Before i wasnt struggling. Should i just accept that I am not smart enough and admit defeat/give up?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Not really. Just a setback and you have a reason.
Try your best, but if A2 doesnt go as well, then just resit. International or if UK and linear then remember you still have 100% marks to play for and can resit if needed.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

This is not my thread but I am facing a similar problem. Currently doing A2. I feel like I am dying slowly. I recently realised the amount of jokes me and my friends do about suicide. Not undermining OP but last year we thought we are struggling but this year is living hell. Sometimes I think what is the point? If someone can please answer OP and myself that would be great!
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
If life puts you down, then

Just give up. Dont get back up. Dont try to fight for this. Its better if you stay down!
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey folks! I have 2 books that might help
Grit by Angela Duckworth really shows the power of determination and well... grit.
Peak by Anders Ericcson takes a more psychological approach into how we can constantly improve ourselves, irrespective of outside influences.
If you need to look at how people revise- imma just shamelessly plug my GYG in the spoiler

S_x_m_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't give up. Even if you feel like it, don't. Remember that you've got other choices if you fail even though you probably won't. Don't die remember you've got a lot to live for like getting a job and getting good grades. Remember you only live once

Hi,

This is not my thread but I am facing a similar problem. Currently doing A2. I feel like I am dying slowly. I recently realised the amount of jokes me and my friends do about suicide. Not undermining OP but last year we thought we are struggling but this year is living hell. Sometimes I think what is the point? If someone can please answer OP and myself that would be great!
Tilzwas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't personally do A-levels as I did a Level 3 BTEC which was more coursework based than exam and study focused, but myself and my college friends used to make dark jokes all the time, which isn't really normal, but looking back I think it was trying to make light of how stressed out we were. You got to try and set yourself an end goal, do you want to go to uni? If so that's a goal and that would be the point. It's hard but think of the end result, try and talk to tutors and teachers (I know that half the time they're useless, but they might not be) and if you're seriously feeling low and hopeless, you need to seek some help, as you're not going to be able to study and work to your best ability if you're not feeling great mentally, put your mental health first.
Hi,

TolleyQuantum
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Hard questions to answer. If you're starting to worry about suicide, its important you have someone you can talk to about it. Personally, I don't currently have the problem you have, but I'm sure I will. The reason for my studies however is that it is to some degree very personal and intimate. As such I'm not prepared to go into details, but my perspective is that I will be attending a university primarily for its resources and oppotunities. When I say resources, I don't just mean the knowledge in books, but also the tests they give, the deadlines they set and all the reasons for all those things. Oppotunities is just my broad way of saying networking. I can't imagine anything I've said hs helped much, but perhaps a different perspective might reveal something about your own. The personal studies I am currently doing, and the studies I will be partaking in are, in my point of view, a stepping stone.

If what you describe is how the stepping stone will make me feel, I doubt I could ever fathom the emotional storm that is grand prize I seek.

Other than that, I suppose I could recommend playing Dark Souls if you have access to a console. It did, believe it or not, help me when I was dealing with depression, it might work for you too. And on that note, don't go hollow friend.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago

Just give up. Dont get back up. Dont try to fight for this. Its better if you stay down!
haha
But to the person asking the question, I don't think you should give up but you if you want to remember it's not the end of the world as you know it but it might just be the end of your dream as I'm sure you have picked A-levels based on what you want to do in the future?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Im Sorry, i thought it was funny!
haha
But to the person asking the question, I don't think you should give up but you if you want to remember it's not the end of the world as you know it but it might just be the end of your dream as I'm sure you have picked A-levels based on what you want to do in the future?
JessQUEENB
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No of course you should just admit defeat. I'm in a similar position but instead I'm in year 13. Trust that you are strong enough to get better and get back on top. You can do this and in no way does slipping slightly define you. Don't lose hope alright. Fall down seven times and stand up eight okay. xx
nabulya8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

What kind of advice is that? Please tell me u are telling her the opposite
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nabulya8)
What kind of advice is that? Please tell me u are telling her the opposite
lmao
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by S_x_m_x)
Don't give up. Even if you feel like it, don't. Remember that you've got other choices if you fail even though you probably won't. Don't die remember you've got a lot to live for like getting a job and getting good grades. Remember you only live once
Thank you for your response.
I feel bad but I have to ask... what is the point in getting a job and good grades. What made people determine life to be that way?
I mean I asked a 9year old what the purpose of it all and they answered saying (Power phrased): "We study in primary to go to secondary which allows to go into college/uni to get a job. Then we marry have kids and die" Now I understand I should not be listening to a primary school kid but why did she have that mindset. who determined life to be that way? I don't actively want to die but sometimes I feel its better to not live if that makes sense
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tilzwas)
I didn't personally do A-levels as I did a Level 3 BTEC which was more coursework based than exam and study focused, but myself and my college friends used to make dark jokes all the time, which isn't really normal, but looking back I think it was trying to make light of how stressed out we were. You got to try and set yourself an end goal, do you want to go to uni? If so that's a goal and that would be the point. It's hard but think of the end result, try and talk to tutors and teachers (I know that half the time they're useless, but they might not be) and if you're seriously feeling low and hopeless, you need to seek some help, as you're not going to be able to study and work to your best ability if you're not feeling great mentally, put your mental health first.
Thank you for your response
Currently trying to balance 2 courseworks and exams. So probably that's why I am stressed.
My friend actually said today (power phrased) "oh... is it normal for people to say such stuff about killing yourself" It just made me think. In a sense I am relieved we are not the only ones but it's not just because of stress. I feel like some of us may actually kill themselves if things continue the way they are.
I had a goal and a dream. empahasise on the past tense. Now its not possible to achieve. I think I am simply going to uni because of society's expectation to continue in that direction since I have nothing else to do if that makes sense. My goal at the moment is to finish one day in one piece and reach bad safely without any drama.
I don't know when you did your BTEC but now a days teachers throw you under the bus. They give you a break if you need it but you are accounted on everything you missed and the bombard with things when you are back.
Atm I emailed a health and well being to get a counselor but thats it. I kinda need to finish my coursework as well so theres that
S_x_m_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel bad but I have to ask... what is the point in getting a job and good grades. What made people determine life to be that way?
I mean I asked a 9year old what the purpose of it all and they answered saying (Power phrased): "We study in primary to go to secondary which allows to go into college/uni to get a job. Then we marry have kids and die" Now I understand I should not be listening to a primary school kid but why did she have that mindset. who determined life to be that way? I don't actively want to die but sometimes I feel its better to not live if that makes sense
Well if you get a job then you would have enough money to get a job and we have kids so that they can remember you and you'll have lots of experiences with them and you'll be able to bond with them as well
TolleyQuantum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its not a case of why we're here. Seriously, fastest way to being depressed. Its a case of: who you are, and what do you want? What do you desire? What are you hungry for? What are you willing to fight for, and what are you willing to die for? And if you're still thinking it doesn't matter because we're all gonna die some day, then you're missing the point. The point being, perspective and ignorance. What that nine year old said is an outside perspective, looking at the big picture, the entire road from start to finish on google maps. And that is not what I'm asking you, I'm asking you what your perspective is. Where are you on that road, and what has it been like? What does it feel like? Forget the ending that hasn't arrived, forget what the point of "the system" is, and forget what a flipping nine year old said. Ignorance is bliss, and you will need it. What do you want to do, where you want to be, what will make you happy.

Oh, and take your time answering. Rushing and being all frantic is a recipe for an upset tummy.

Also, in regards to staying hungry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJ...&nohtml5=False
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by JessQUEENB)
No of course you should just admit defeat. I'm in a similar position but instead I'm in year 13. Trust that you are strong enough to get better and get back on top. You can do this and in no way does slipping slightly define you. Don't lose hope alright. Fall down seven times and stand up eight okay. xx
I can't come back fighting unless i get better though, teachers are seeing how its affecting me academically. I'm just glad i am in yr 12 and have the option to leave if i want and it doesnt count. I have excessive anxiety so i am beginning to worry so much that i am crying to my tutor and i am functioning with 3-4 hrs sleep and i thought i had my period but it turns out i i am just spotting. My tutor said she was a bad student and she messed around in the first year and came out with 3 Us but i am a good student who has a reason for failure if i do fail. Even then i am still scared. If i was in yr 13 i would be pooing myself.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TolleyQuantum)
Hard questions to answer. If you're starting to worry about suicide, its important you have someone you can talk to about it. Personally, I don't currently have the problem you have, but I'm sure I will. The reason for my studies however is that it is to some degree very personal and intimate. As such I'm not prepared to go into details, but my perspective is that I will be attending a university primarily for its resources and oppotunities. When I say resources, I don't just mean the knowledge in books, but also the tests they give, the deadlines they set and all the reasons for all those things. Oppotunities is just my broad way of saying networking. I can't imagine anything I've said hs helped much, but perhaps a different perspective might reveal something about your own. The personal studies I am currently doing, and the studies I will be partaking in are, in my point of view, a stepping stone.

If what you describe is how the stepping stone will make me feel, I doubt I could ever fathom the emotional storm that is grand prize I seek.

Other than that, I suppose I could recommend playing Dark Souls if you have access to a console. It did, believe it or not, help me when I was dealing with depression, it might work for you too. And on that note, don't go hollow friend.
Even though it is a dark topic we speak of your message brought a smile to me and lightened my evening.
I hope you don't drift and stay on the sane side of this world. I will try to take your advice to take a different perspective to understand myself and hopefully I will find the right stepping stone. I wish I can confidently say I will be hear to listen but it will simply be a blind person leading another.
Alas, I don't have a console but thank you for the reccomendation nonetheless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads