Cost of uni? Basic needs Watch

Caitx14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My student loan just about covers my accommodation with around £300 spare. I’m just wondering what you all give yourself each week to spend on basic needs?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends where you are living. London will definitely more money to spend on basics, but also remember that your student loan is supposed to cover some leisure time as well. Remember to budget that in
Caitx14
Rep:
?
(Original post by barror1)
Depends where you are living. London will definitely more money to spend on basics, but also remember that your student loan is supposed to cover some leisure time as well. Remember to budget that in
Unfortunately with the accommodation cost my student loan will just be covering that, I’ll be just on the outskirts of London
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Caitx14)
Unfortunately with the accommodation cost my student loan will just be covering that, I’ll be just on the outskirts of London
Ah ok. Maybe go to a Lidl/Aldi and see how much you can get your weekly shop for? Leave a little flexibility to account for London prices and put that into your budget
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was spending £20-30 a week on food, on average £100 a month. That was predominantly my only recurring expenditure outside rent and bills. £300 is certainly pushing it, even for just 24 weeks that's only £12.50 a week and assumes you won't be in your accommodation much.

There were some one off costs, such as joining societies, events and days out, etc. And I was lucky to have no travel costs, as well as living in a fairly cheap city.

Unfortunately I don't think £300 is realistic to live on, London or not. You're going to need to find a way to supplment that with additional income.
Caitx14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
I was spending £20-30 a week on food, on average £100 a month. That was predominantly my only recurring expenditure outside rent and bills. £300 is certainly pushing it, even for just 24 weeks that's only £12.50 a week and assumes you won't be in your accommodation much.

There were some one off costs, such as joining societies, events and days out, etc. And I was lucky to have no travel costs, as well as living in a fairly cheap city.

Unfortunately I don't think £300 is realistic to live on, London or not. You're going to need to find a way to supplment that with additional income.
Oh I certainly won’t be living of the £300, I’m hopefully going to get a job on the side and my parents are also looking towards giving me a bit of money every so often to help out.

I was thinking myself around £20 a week as I’m not much of an eater anyway and the food in the uni itself is quite cheap also
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads