Binomial expansion to find limits Watch

jameshyland29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://mathsorchard.weebly.com/uplo...1819/1998.docx

Concerning 1998 STEP 3 question 3...

In the given solution the expression found for Vn has c as a denominator, and I'm wondering why that doesn't pose any problems for evaluating at c=0. Is it simply because everything in the bracket disappears before the denominator by rules of precedence?

Also, is the binomial expansion absolutely necessary there? Because without it it's unclear whether the final term tends to zero or infinity?

Is there no other way to deduce that the limit as c tends to zero is the same as the value when c = 0 ? Is this fact less obvious than it sounds to me to be?

Thanks.
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jameshyland29)
https://mathsorchard.weebly.com/uplo...1819/1998.docx

Concerning 1998 STEP 3 question 3...

In the given solution the expression found for Vn has c as a denominator, and I'm wondering why that doesn't pose any problems for evaluating at c=0. Is it simply because everything in the bracket disappears before the denominator by rules of precedence?
There *is* an issue with evaluating V_n at c=0, which is why the limits are used to justify the statement V_n = V_0 - Nd.

Also, is the binomial expansion absolutely necessary there? Because without it it's unclear whether the final term tends to zero or infinity?

Is there no other way to deduce that the limit as c tends to zero is the same as the value when c = 0 ? Is this fact less obvious than it sounds to me to be?

Thanks.
You don't *need* to use the binomial expansion here, but it does make it a whole lot clearer as to what the limit must be because you are then able to cancel out the c in the denominator.

An alternative approach is to use L'Hopitals rule:

\displaystyle \lim_{c \to 0} \dfrac{d[1-(1+c)^N]}{c} = \lim_{c \to 0} \dfrac{d[0-N(1+c)^{N-1}]}{1} = -Nd.

In addition to that, since \displaystyle \lim_{c \to 0} V_0(1+c)^N = V_0 that means V_n \to V_0 - Nd.
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed