Stuck in a bad university Watch

AnononA8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Title speaks for itself.I'm currently studying at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen and as far as I can tell, it's pretty horrible - I don't see myself having a decent future out of this placeI'm in my second year: is it possible to fix this, and possibly transfer to a better university, before it's too late?
megsalice_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe you could drop out and reapply through clearing for 2019/20 entry if it’s that bad?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MinaBee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What are you studying? Transferring to a different university for 3rd year is very uncommon so I think you'd probably have to start again unless you can find a university that's willing to let you do that.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You could potentially transfer to another university, however you might end up in year one again. I have seen a few from my University drop out after one year to transfer to RG universities. You could also do a Masters at somewhere else after graduation.
AnononA8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm studying Law and Management
Unfortunately I don't think going back to year one would be a good solution, I was hoping that I could move into another university from year two instead.
Would any Masters applications be compromised if I were to graduate at my current university, as opposed to a better one?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why did you apply there in the first place, and why did you wait until you were halfway through second year before looking to do anything about it?

Stick it out. It's not top tier, but it's certainly not 'bad'. Create your own opportunities. Get work experience that will help once you've graduated.

You can check out entry requirements for masters courses online.

FWIW I got my MBA from RGU.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AnononA8)
I'm studying Law and Management
Unfortunately I don't think going back to year one would be a good solution, I was hoping that I could move into another university from year two instead.
Would any Masters applications be compromised if I were to graduate at my current university, as opposed to a better one?
Graduating from RGU will not stop you going to a 'better' one as long as you have a good personal statement, at least a 2,1 and good references. This comes from personal experience.
What universities would you aim for?
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 1 week ago
kayleighisonfire
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I went to a not so great university for undergrad and now go to a good one for my masters. Aim to get a 2:1 and then go to a better one for your masters. I know it is easier said than done because I hated my undergrad city and I spent 4 years living there. Join societies and make the most of it because there will be times when you miss it just the slightest bit.
maxymoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AnononA8)
Title speaks for itself.I'm currently studying at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen and as far as I can tell, it's pretty horrible - I don't see myself having a decent future out of this placeI'm in my second year: is it possible to fix this, and possibly transfer to a better university, before it's too late?
My oldest had a pretty dreadful time at RGU- he dropped out half way through the second year. He has now gone to college doing a HND and is loving it. Much better support and doing well. If he continues as he is he can go into third yr of a uni degree doing a better and more interesting degree than he was doing at RGU. Although he has lost 2 yrs for him changing has been for the best. His mental health was affected by all of it. It depends on how strongly you feel- if you can stick it out then try if not move on.
Tim
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MinaBee)
What are you studying? Transferring to a different university for 3rd year is very uncommon so I think you'd probably have to start again unless you can find a university that's willing to let you do that.
Bear in mind that RGU is a Scottish university, so 2nd year would be equivalent to 1st year in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads