PGCE at Sussex or Brighton Watch

hermanx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have been offered a place at both University of Brighton and University of Sussex for an Initial Teacher Training (PGCE) but I am unsure which one to take. I have studied previously at Sussex but have heard the Brighton PGCE course is very good. Can anyone provide feedback on these courses? Are there any reasons why I should choose one over the other?
hermanx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have been offered a place at both University of Brighton and University of Sussex for an Initial Teacher Training (PGCE) but I am unsure which one to take. I have studied previously at Sussex but have heard the Brighton PGCE course is very good. Can anyone provide feedback on these courses? Are there any reasons why I should choose one over the other?
University of Brighton Enquiries
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi hermanx :hello:

Congratulations on your offers! Hopefully a current or previous student will be along shortly to offer you some more advice, but in the meantime I thought you might want to take a look at some of what the University of Brighton PGCE has to offer. You can check out this video about the Secondary PGCE courses -

There's also a selection of videos on our YouTube channel about other PGCE courses too.

We have partnerships with over 600 schools and colleges in the south east, which means we can offer opportunities at a wide variety of different schools, including both urban and rural settings. We were also rated Outstanding by Ofsted in our 2018 inspection. This all helps contribute to our excellent employment rates after graduation, that are consistency above the sector average.
I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions please feel free to give us a call on 01273 644644

Emma :nyan:
(University of Brighton Rep)

(Original post by hermanx)
ruggedtoast
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If it were a BA in primary I might suggest Brighton as the facilities are good with mock classrooms and learning resources.

For the PGCE, you will barely draw breath to use these before you are on school placement then your main contact with the university will be via email or occasional tutor meetings.

Sussex' course I understand is designed so that you have a day of uni every week of the PGCE whereas Brighton frontloads most of this in September and again in January. So it depends whether you would prefer to have the teaching in a block or keep the contact going each week.

The two universities are at very different parts of the UK university league table, so you may want to research yourself to find out why, and if this matters to you before making a choice.
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I can't comment on either of the courses as such, but generally about the structure of placements.

From my experience, mentors on second placements have been unimpressed with people leaving to go to uni one day a week. I think it should be something you seriously consider - as I and others have been offered jobs through full-timetabled second placements.

Look at the structure of your ITT provider's course. Do they have you working more like a 'real teacher' by the second placement? Or is there a continual 'softening' of the experience to return to uni one day a week? Schools consider this when deciding who to hire as NQTs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.77%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (65)
14.04%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (49)
10.58%
How can I be the best version of myself? (141)
30.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed