Could somebody recommend a car to me please? Watch

dakofsta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So my dad is buying me a car for my 20th birthday in June. He has given me a budget of £3000 and doesn't want insurance to be anything too expensive (I think the max would be around 2500 but I'd contribute towards it too as long as it's under £3000).

I am quite a materialistic person in all honesty and I think the best option is a 2008 Audi A3. Would anybody have a better recommendation? I want a car that looks really good, thanks!
OutKast
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dakofsta)
So my dad is buying me a car for my 20th birthday in June. He has given me a budget of £3000 and doesn't want insurance to be anything too expensive (I think the max would be around 2500 but I'd contribute towards it too as long as it's under £3000).

I am quite a materialistic person in all honesty and I think the best option is a 2008 Audi A3. Would anybody have a better recommendation? I want a car that looks really good, thanks!
If you really are all about the badge, you can go on autotrader and EASILY find a mercedes/bmw/ audi within your budget (not sure about insurance, you'd have to go on a comparison website and see for yourself)

However, an 11 year old german car with what will be (I expect) quite high mileage would not fill me with confidence. If you go with this option, be prepared to potentially have to pay out quite a lot for issues. Have a think about whether you could afford repairs.

If you're insistent on a classy car, you could always try Lexus- they're upmarket and are known for reliability. I'd trust a £3 grand lexus more than a £3 grand german car.

I would recommend potentially getting one of the below cars and save up over the next few years (maybe £7,000 for the car) and you may then have a much better experience of owning a fancy car in the future.

potential options: Toyota Yaris, Citroen C1, Suzuki alto/swift, Honda Jazz.

Either way, make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection!!!
dakofsta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks man!

The mileage is around 60-80k, which isn't too bad (I think?)

The older German cars were great but I think I need a hatchback for my first car lmao, but those suggestions are safe and solid, cheers!
(Original post by OutKast)
If you really are all about the badge, you can go on autotrader and EASILY find a mercedes/bmw/ audi within your budget (not sure about insurance, you'd have to go on a comparison website and see for yourself)

However, an 11 year old german car with what will be (I expect) quite high mileage would not fill me with confidence. If you go with this option, be prepared to potentially have to pay out quite a lot for issues. Have a think about whether you could afford repairs.

If you're insistent on a classy car, you could always try Lexus- they're upmarket and are known for reliability. I'd trust a £3 grand lexus more than a £3 grand german car.

I would recommend potentially getting one of the below cars and save up over the next few years (maybe £7,000 for the car) and you may then have a much better experience of owning a fancy car in the future.

potential options: Toyota Yaris, Citroen C1, Suzuki alto/swift, Honda Jazz.

Either way, make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection!!!
OutKast
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dakofsta)
Thanks man!

The mileage is around 60-80k, which isn't too bad (I think?)

The older German cars were great but I think I need a hatchback for my first car lmao, but those suggestions are safe and solid, cheers!
No problem!

It's not too bad, but audi's aren't exactly known for their reliability. If you're set on one, make sure it's been regularly serviced and any manufacturer advised jobs to be done at a certain mileage have been done. And as I mentioned earlier, a pre-purchase inspection is so important. You'll get a better price on a private sale compared to from a garage, but a garage may well give you a warranty and/or offer one at a price. So again up to you what you do regarding that.

Hope the car hunt goes well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads