MPs reject no-deal brexit Watch

Becca216
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It was a close call 312 for 308 against, what are your views?

Should there be another vote, if so for what?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well that's it then, democratic process and all.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dis gon be fun. EU clearly won't budge on the agreed deal, so asking them to delay A50 is even more bonkers. "No deal" will be the winner no matter how you look at it
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Becca216)

I was just logging on the post this.

It's awful in my opinion, I believe as I said this morning and last night. We are doing major damage to our democracy even if the EU tells us to balls and we get lobbed out.

Our politicians are failing
Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It was advisory and as it was so close MP's should have another vote just in case they didn't know what they were voting for/changed their minds, etc...etc...
TreeFellOnMe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They've just rejected a "managed no-deal" now too which asked for an extension to May 22, 164 - 3xx something
sachinisgod
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
It was advisory and as it was so close MP's should have another vote just in case they didn't know what they were voting for/changed their minds, etc...etc...
:ahee:
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
May still flogging her dead horse deal. Got to give her reps for persistence.
lowwkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
from now its either no brexit or a deal (amended May's deal or possibly canada+++). i think they'll vote for her deal next Wed. if not, then it'll be extended for ages and something big (like a change in PM... no point in really having a 2nd ref) will happen
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Deal = rejected. No deal = rejected.

Looks like we're in a curious position.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

My view is that this is the worst possible result of a vote.

The EU now holds all the power. If they don't want the UK to leave, they simply will refuse to deal. No deal, no Brexit - Crisis averted.

The more likely outcome is that they will let Britain 'leave' so long as they continue to abide by all rules of the EU and continue to pay membership fees. The outcome of that will be that Britain is in vassalage to a foreign power, paying taxation without representation and the rules of that foreign power being enforced upon Britain.

I suspect that will be the outcome. But I am done whinging over this. I simply will not vote for any candidate that voted against the no-deal Brexit. They were either foolishly naive or very cunningly knew exactly what they were doing to prevent Britain from leaving the EU without getting their hands dirty by ignoring the referendum.
CrazyConnor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly the whole thing's gone to the dogs, I think the only thing that could save us now is a Gunpowder Plot 2.0...
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
The original Brexit referendum was advisory and it was so close that the British populace should have another vote just in case they didn't know what they were voting for/changed their minds, etc...etc...
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What do these ******s in Westminister want then? They don't want a deal or a no deal either, they are just making it look like a stalling game where they can keep the UK in the EU for as much as possible. I will go with May's deal at this point as the deadline is closer
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
The original Brexit referendum was advisory and it was so close that the British populace should have another vote just in case they didn't know what they were voting for/changed their minds, etc...etc...
They don't need to. You won. Britain isn't leaving the EU - Not in any meaningful sense. Removing the no-deal Brexit means all of Britain's bargaining power has vanished and the EU doesn't need to do anything other than say 'No' to stop this crisis. Obviously, that would make them look bad, so they will allow Britain to leave so long as Britain agrees to abide by all their terms, conditions, laws and continues to pay their bills. The only difference will be that Britain has no say at all in those things.

Really, that's a win for Europe. Britain has always been the fly in their ointment, so why not just push them away from the table if there are no real consequences for them?
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Wow! I never thought of that. Well done.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
My view is that this is the worst possible result of a vote.

The EU now holds all the power. If they don't want the UK to leave, they simply will refuse to deal. No deal, no Brexit - Crisis averted.

The more likely outcome is that they will let Britain 'leave' so long as they continue to abide by all rules of the EU and continue to pay membership fees. The outcome of that will be that Britain is in vassalage to a foreign power, paying taxation without representation and the rules of that foreign power being enforced upon Britain.

I suspect that will be the outcome. But I am done whinging over this. I simply will not vote for any candidate that voted against the no-deal Brexit. They were either foolishly naive or very cunningly knew exactly what they were doing to prevent Britain from leaving the EU without getting their hands dirty by ignoring the referendum.
consequences of recent happening are likely to be disastrous.

History and the world stage tells us that the wrong people rise from the Ashes of a burning broken democracy.

It isnt my normal style but all the fools who are celebrating last night's vote may be celebrating the newly paved the way for some very sinister extreme leader in the not to distant future. Go ahead give yourself a round of applause you idiots!
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 week ago
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They don't need to. You won. Britain isn't leaving the EU - Not in any meaningful sense. Removing the no-deal Brexit means all of Britain's bargaining power has vanished and the EU doesn't need to do anything other than say 'No' to stop this crisis. Obviously, that would make them look bad, so they will allow Britain to leave so long as Britain agrees to abide by all their terms, conditions, laws and continues to pay their bills. The only difference will be that Britain has no say at all in those things.

Really, that's a win for Europe. Britain has always been the fly in their ointment, so why not just push them away from the table if there are no real consequences for them?
We had no bargaining power to begin with anyway. No deal was never a real viable option except in the minds of rabid hard brexiteers, it's simply not possible in reality without dooming the UK to shortages and recession.

The EU knew all this from the start, today's vote changed diddly squat in that regard. The remain camp said this from the start as well, there was no chance of a clean break from the EU so any brexit fantasy of us having a prospering globally connected economy is simply BS. Globalism just doesn't work that way.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dez)
We had no bargaining power to begin with anyway. No deal was never a real viable option except in the minds of rabid hard brexiteers, it's simply not possible in reality without dooming the UK to shortages and recession.

The EU knew all this from the start, today's vote changed diddly squat in that regard. The remain camp said this from the start as well, there was no chance of a clean break from the EU so any brexit fantasy of us having a prospering globally connected economy is simply BS. Globalism just doesn't work that way.
Why not? Please give a detailed analysis so that I can understand.

Edit: Y'know what? Never mind. I know what's going to happen. You'll give vague, sweeping statements not backed up by any scholarly references, then flat out deny that the world is more complex than you give it credit for. Britain essentially relegating itself to a vassal state has bothered me enough that I don't want to bother with that.
Last edited by ThatOldGuy; 1 week ago
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not? Please give a detailed analysis so that I can understand.
The EU did their own brexit investigations, tons of them in fact. They've got an entire section of the EC website dedicated to brexit. It covers a multitude of possible outcomes in the preparedness section. Is that detailed enough for you? I think it's fair to say the EU probably has a better idea of what no deal entails than the UK government does.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads