lyalucy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
What ideas can I use as points for the theme of Guilt and/or Madness in Macbeth? Revising for GCSE and I’m stuck :/
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
guilt seemed to drive both lady macbeth and macbeth to madness- could be considered a punishment for the murder of duncan as it dismantled the chain of being- something that only god and divine powers(??) are meant to have control over.
immediately following the murder, macbeth already seems fearful of punishment, saying "i am afraid to think what i have done"- he doesn't want to dwell on his actions at this point and so the guilt will ensue later and likely be worse than he expected. he's afraid to think- because he's acting with his heart and his head, not realising the potential damage of his actions and thus wants to remain in the same mindless mentality.
splashytora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
him seeing his dead friend at the dinner table, guilty conscience
lady macbeth washing her hands and sleep walking, she kills herself
repitition of ideas of bad dreams, not sleeping
the witches as mad, evil insane?
use quotes to help form your points
power turning to mad belief arising thinks trees wont move, no man born of woman will kill him etc
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Okay, thankyou so, so much!
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
guilt seemed to drive both lady macbeth and macbeth to madness- could be considered a punishment for the murder of duncan as it dismantled the chain of being- something that only god and divine powers(??) are meant to have control over.
immediately following the murder, macbeth already seems fearful of punishment, saying "i am afraid to think what i have done"- he doesn't want to dwell on his actions at this point and so the guilt will ensue later and likely be worse than he expected. he's afraid to think- because he's acting with his heart and his head, not realising the potential damage of his actions and thus wants to remain in the same mindless mentality.
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Thankyou so much!!
(Original post by splashytora)
him seeing his dead friend at the dinner table, guilty conscience
lady macbeth washing her hands and sleep walking, she kills herself
repitition of ideas of bad dreams, not sleeping
the witches as mad, evil insane?
use quotes to help form your points
power turning to mad belief arising thinks trees wont move, no man born of woman will kill him etc
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by htoombs47)
Okay, thankyou so, so much!
it's no worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise