wigglyfingers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sorry if this is incredibly annoying but I have decided to delete this post upon rereading it. I raised my personal observation of beautiful individuals making up the bulk of Oxford offers at my school with the primary objective of finding out if others had noticed similar trends at their schools. I now realise that the phrasing of my intendedly light-hearted speculation has the potential to offend, and to undermine the fantastic and hard-earned achievement of Oxbridge offer-holders, students, and alumni, and this could not be further from my objective. Having been through it myself, I am aware that the admissions process is long and tiring and do not wish to suggest for one second that the students who are successful do not deserve their places. Fortunately I think my point generally came across correctly; however, the last thing I want to do is to undermine the admissions process or those who triumph in it, so I am deleting this post to prevent insulting those who rightfully have made connections with Oxford. You're amazing and clever!
Last edited by wigglyfingers; 1 year ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure whether to be like :lolwut: or :toofunny: at this thread :dontknow:
CaitTheNerd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I doubt that's the case. They're probably just very good at bigging themselves up in interviews. One of my cousins is like that. She's not hugely smart but she seems to be able to just walk into any job she likes, cause she can talk the talk.
wigglyfingers
Rep:
?
Haha sorry I don't mean any offence! Actually I'd like to clarify that alongside these beautiful but quite surprising offer-holders, I know a great deal of super clever people of all beauty standards who have gone to Oxford. I don't want to undermine the fantastic achievements of any Oxford alums. The four beautiful human beings who received offers completely deserve their places on the basis that they are good enough, but in the context of such competitiveness I wonder if incredible looks at all supplemented their slight mediocrity compared to other high-achieving candidates I know
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Not sure whether to be like :lolwut: or :toofunny: at this thread :dontknow:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1...5/p01hvwb2.jpg
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wigglyfingers)
I go to a grammar school with a moderately strong Oxbridge success rate. This year we had 7 into Cambridge and 4 into Oxford from a large group of students. The Oxford offer-holders interest me, though, as all four share two common features. Firstly, whilst they are far from unintelligent, they are not and have not ever been considered amongst the cleverest in the year in any respect whatsoever. Secondly, they are all well above average in the looks department.

I'd estimate that around 20 of my other peers were rejected from Oxford, including many who have always shone academically and massively outdone the four offer-holders at each and every opportunity (GCSEs, personal statements, Olympiads/essay competitions, prizes, leadership positions etc. etc.). These outstanding unsuccessful applicants are notably less attractive that the four who got in, leading me to question if looks play a part in Oxford's decisions.

Casting my mind back, I have realised that the Oxford offer holders from previous years have also all been notably gorgeous.

I want to make it clear that I am in no way at all accusing Oxford of judging candidates based on looks. I have incredibly insufficient evidence to support this claim and to make it would be immature, ignorant, and insulting. However, the correlation I have noticed between beautiful people and Oxford offers interests me. Has anyone at Oxford, or who knows people who have applied to Oxford, noticed similar things?

(PS. I am not jealous. I have an offer from Cambridge :P)
You just accused Oxford of rejecting applicants because they are ugly. :eek:

What do you think of Cambridge? Do you think your theory holds true there as well?
wigglyfingers
Rep:
?
Yeah that's a good point actually. One boy in the particular is very funny and charismatic alongside very good looking, so perhaps his stellar presence enabled him to really stand out from other strong candidates who were perhaps less engaging as individuals
(Original post by CrazyConnor)
I doubt that's the case. They're probably just very good at bigging themselves up in interviews. One of my cousins is like that. She's not hugely smart but she seems to be able to just walk into any job she likes, cause she can talk the talk.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think they are attractive?
wigglyfingers
Rep:
?
I really didn't mean to!! I know some 'ugly' people who have gone to Oxford and even these four are definitely clever, just perhaps not the very best. I'm only curious if Oxford seems to produce a high degree of good-looking candidates and if this is the case (which it may well not be) why this is. I haven't really noticed a similar trend with Cambridge at all. Although once again, this is only a speculation based on the people at my school - it might be a complete coincidence!

(Original post by Wired_1800)
You just accused Oxford of rejecting applicants because they are ugly. :eek:

What do you think of Cambridge? Do you think your theory holds true there as well?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Do you think they are attractive?
i find intellectual ferocity a powerful aphrodisiac

:fan:

:coma:
blacksheep8
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Creepy, but then again I wouldnt be surprised :bebored:
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
i find intellectual ferocity a powerful aphrodisiac

:fan:

:coma:
Fantastic answer.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wigglyfingers)
I really didn't mean to!! I know some 'ugly' people who have gone to Oxford and even these four are definitely clever, just perhaps not the very best. I'm only curious if Oxford seems to produce a high degree of good-looking candidates and if this is the case (which it may well not be) why this is. I haven't really noticed a similar trend with Cambridge at all. Although once again, this is only a speculation based on the people at my school - it might be a complete coincidence!
Ok
cordialgail
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I mean, there is an element of truth to this - not in the fact that pretty people are more likely to get into Oxford (which everyone agrees is a ludicrous statement), but that through however many tens (?)/hundreds (?) of applicants seen by interviewers, they will probably subconciously remember people who stand out visually. Whether that's because they're attractive or have interesting hair or are wearing bright colours, I feel as though it would have a similar affect on unconsious bias. This is just a speculative thing though I'm no psychologist so I'm not sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads