Unfair marking at uni Watch

FloraLaura
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I thought it was supposed to be anonymous?

I've just read through my grades and one particular lecture has been pretty unfair. In the student handbook for the units it says to include detailed drafts of our work (creative writing) and she sent an email out saying just two pages of drafts (by this point I had already submitted). So I've lost marks because of that, annoyingly.

However, she brought up the fact that I don't attend and didn't have a tutorial. I'm disabled and the uni is very much aware of this fact. I tried to book the tutorial for another time but she never replied, as I had physio at the same time. This is what irked me most, it was such a harsh comment for something I can't control.

I had 6 characters in my play and apparently that was "too many" despite there not being anything said anywhere about a limit of characters. We just had to write a one act play with detailed drafts. No specifications on what should be in it. She commented that I clearly haven't read any plays and that I should read more. I just feel like this is all so unprofessional, especially from a university lecturer.

I'm thinking of emailing the course leader about it, as I don't think it's right.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FloraLaura)
I thought it was supposed to be anonymous?

I've just read through my grades and one particular lecture has been pretty unfair. In the student handbook for the units it says to include detailed drafts of our work (creative writing) and she sent an email out saying just two pages of drafts (by this point I had already submitted). So I've lost marks because of that, annoyingly.

However, she brought up the fact that I don't attend and didn't have a tutorial. I'm disabled and the uni is very much aware of this fact. I tried to book the tutorial for another time but she never replied, as I had physio at the same time. This is what irked me most, it was such a harsh comment for something I can't control.

I had 6 characters in my play and apparently that was "too many" despite there not being anything said anywhere about a limit of characters. We just had to write a one act play with detailed drafts. No specifications on what should be in it. She commented that I clearly haven't read any plays and that I should read more. I just feel like this is all so unprofessional, especially from a university lecturer.

I'm thinking of emailing the course leader about it, as I don't think it's right.
Marking wasn't anonymous at my university but the fact they didn't do anything on the tutorial front to make it accessible and then punished you for it, would definitely be worth bringing up with student support and perhaps your course leader.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The first two comments may be, although have you arranged with your uni to not attend anything as generally that's still an expectation.

The last comment just sounds like your work wasn't good. It's not unfair to say your work was bad and they be actually given you so me useful tips for next time.
FloraLaura
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
The first two comments may be, although have you arranged with your uni to not attend anything as generally that's still an expectation.

The last comment just sounds like your work wasn't good. It's not unfair to say your work was bad and they be actually given you so me useful tips for next time.
I accept my work wasn't great, but I don't see how my attendance had anything to do with it. Especially since I'm disabled (mental health and a recent diagnosis of joint hypermobility syndrome), so they're aware that I catch up using what's posted online. I did email the lecturer for this and she never responded, I emailed her a few times. The last time I emailed her was about the tutorial to re-arrange for another time since I couldn't make the one set. It just seemed unfair that the blame was placed on me for something that wasn't in my control.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FloraLaura)
I accept my work wasn't great, but I don't see how my attendance had anything to do with it. Especially since I'm disabled (mental health and a recent diagnosis of joint hypermobility syndrome), so they're aware that I catch up using what's posted online. I did email the lecturer for this and she never responded, I emailed her a few times. The last time I emailed her was about the tutorial to re-arrange for another time since I couldn't make the one set. It just seemed unfair that the blame was placed on me for something that wasn't in my control.
Read my comment. If your work is poor that is in your control. Have you made an agreement with your uni that you won't attend any lessons?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed