Am I in the right to take a day off work? Watch

rossjameslx567
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I do vol work as a Librarian, my jobs to mainly shelve books, deal with customers enquiries, go through lists and take books out that need to go to other libraries that people have orded etc and just general maintenance. (I'm always on my feet and the job entails constant walking)

However, I've got a sprained ankle, I've been working with it but my ankle just isn't getting any better by doing that. I can physically work if I force myself to but I want to be losing weight, I can't go for my runs etc if my ankle is never getting any better.

Am I in the right to take a day or two off? I've worked there for over a month now and everything's going well, I've picked up fast, yesterday I was having a new vol shadow me and I spent the day showing him around and telling him what's what.

My fitness and losing weight comes before having the best reputation at working in a Library. I just feel my ankle won't get better if I'm having to work. Luckily after Friday the Library is closed for a week so that could be healing time for me, my nan is saying I should wait until then but I've already missed yes, five days of running due to my ankle. I just can't keep missing more days otherwise I may as well give up on losing weight because I want to be consistent and lose weight ASAP as I have goals to achieve.

If I take time off work as of now, the sooner I'll be able to run again. Two more days may not seem like much to the average person but to me it is. I want to get back out there, I'm already considering getting alcohol in and I keep on having to stop myself, it's all because I'm bored I need sports to do.

I feel I have the right to take today and tomorrow off and come back when the Library re-opens, what do you guys think? P.S, working less hours is not an option, I'm wanting to not work at all until my ankle heals. I want to rest it.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Either you're fit enough to work or you're not. When did you sprain your ankle?

If this is a volunteer position can't you just say you're not available for a couple of days? It's not like they can discipline you for not coming in.

A few days of missed activity won't have any long term affect on your weight loss.
rossjameslx567
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'd say I'm not fit enough because I'm training to become a professional boxer and if I'm not resting my injuries then it can be quite dangerous for me. So I'm not going to blow my ankle out on working when I should be resting.

And yeah it's vol, so I suppose you have a point but I want a good reference at the end of it ofc. So I don't want to be having days off etc but it looks like I'll have to.
I know that it's only a few days but with me it's all about getting into a routine and my routine is being disrupted.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rossjameslx567)
I'd say I'm not fit enough because I'm training to become a professional boxer and if I'm not resting my injuries then it can be quite dangerous for me. So I'm not going to blow my ankle out on working when I should be resting.

And yeah it's vol, so I suppose you have a point but I want a good reference at the end of it ofc. So I don't want to be having days off etc but it looks like I'll have to.
I know that it's only a few days but with me it's all about getting into a routine and my routine is being disrupted.
No, the question was 'are you fit enough to be in work'. It's either yes or no.

Injuries happen. People rest. Routines get disrupted. It happens. You need to see the bigger picture rather than the short-term.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You have to decide if you’re fit for work. When it comes to work your outside activities are irrelevant really.
They do have to make accommodations for you though so you need to tell your boss you have an injury and then they can find work for you to do that doesn’t involve so much walking. If they can’t do that then you could suggest taking some time off.
A couple of days isn’t going to change anything, your weight loss fitness etc. It can take weeks for a proper sprain to heal
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's fair to say you can't be on your feet all day with a sprained ankle but surely there's something you could do sat down? Your priorities are messed up though... you don't get extra time off work because you have a running routine or want to be a boxer. Lots of people upset their routines because it's expected that work comes first.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like others have said, your outside activities are irrelevant. If working is damaging your ankle even more than take the time off. A few days off isn't going to give you a bad reference, illnesses happen all the time.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
"I've got a sprained ankle that's not healing right and hurting more, sorry i need a couple of days to keep it rested, I've done the best I can until now"

(don't bother with the other stuff, as others said, employers don't like it)
ellieknight
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s not that deep, it’s a library volunteering position. Just tell them you need to rest your ankle for a few days otherwise you’ll permanently damage it x
RatRaceEscapee2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can always crawl
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads