The Student Room Group

Allowed calculators for GCSE maths?

Hi, I need to buy a new calculator for my GCSEs as all I have at home are old. I currently have a Casio FX-83MS. Are there any newer calculators that are better? I'm aware that calculators aren't allowed to have remembered formulas and other things that may give me an unfair advantage.

Thanks,
Jacob.
Original post by jacobhamilton
Hi, I need to buy a new calculator for my GCSEs as all I have at home are old. I currently have a Casio FX-83MS. Are there any newer calculators that are better? I'm aware that calculators aren't allowed to have remembered formulas and other things that may give me an unfair advantage.

Thanks,
Jacob.

Any Casio scientific calculator will be fine for GCSE
You'll pay £8-12 for an FX-83 or FX-85 and they are available in most local stationary shops, supermarkets and WHSmiths.
For about £20-25 you can get an FX-991ES Plus that has a few extra capabilities including an equation solver that is somewhat useful at GCSE.
I've seen the FX-991ES, but from what I've read you cannot take it into GCSE's? Or does this just apply to the FX-991EX?
I've seen the FX-991ES, but from what I've read you cannot take it into GCSE's? Or does this just apply to the FX-991EX?

what have your read? where?
neither model has any capability that prevents their use in gcse
both are fine but the EX is a waste of money unless you plan to take A level maths

you're allowed both, i had an fx-991ex in my gcse's and it was totally cool
Original post by gdunne42
what have your read? where?
neither model has any capability that prevents their use in gcse
both are fine but the EX is a waste of money unless you plan to take A level maths

On some random forum, I can't find the article again. And it may be a bit expensive, but I may need some of its functions some when in the future, so I may as well.

Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
you're allowed both, i had an fx-991ex in my gcse's and it was totally cool

Good to know, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest