Are they trying to stop Brexit and succeeding? Watch

karl pilkington
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
They have voted against a deal then against leaving without a deal and will probably vote tonight for extending article 50 maybe for another two years. This in my view is an establishment stitch-up designed to stop us leaving if they get another referendum then it will be stopped completely.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
MPs didn't just vote against a deal, they voted against bad deal. The nuance is important.

As for an establishment stitch-up, a lot of opposition towards May's deal within the Conservative ranks come from hard Brexit supporters. They are about as anti-establishment as The Queen.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
MPs didn't just vote against a deal, they voted against bad deal. The nuance is important.

As for an establishment stitch-up, a lot of opposition towards May's deal within the Conservative ranks come from hard Brexit supporters. They are about as anti-establishment as The Queen.
No they voted against leaving without a deal which is voting aginst Brexit and they are now trying to extend the article 50 deadline.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
They have voted against a deal then against leaving without a deal and will probably vote tonight for extending article 50 maybe for another two years. This in my view is an establishment stitch-up designed to stop us leaving if they get another referendum then it will be stopped completely.
Not if everyone votes Leave again.
Why does everyone seem to automatically assume that Second Referendum = Remain?
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by tazarooni89)
Because that's what most polls show also the establishment will not allow us to vote to leave a second time they will come up with a way to cheat the result.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because that's what most polls show
Are you saying that you think the majority of the British electorate now want to stay in the EU?

also the establishment will not allow us to vote to leave a second time they will come up with a way to cheat the result.
If they wanted to do that, why would they need a second referendum? They could just do that now
Last edited by tazarooni89; 1 week ago
Nalk1573
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
postpone brexit until 2025

then we can have a second referendum in 2028

then we can discuss it until 2031

then make the decision in 2032

What do people think ?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because of the mess we have had for the last couple of years. Most people would probably be less inclined to leave and more people would be interested in voting remain.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
No they voted against leaving without a deal which is voting aginst Brexit and they are now trying to extend the article 50 deadline.
Your understanding of what is going on is simplistic and leading you to confusion.
There are various factions and they want different things.

Voting against leaving without a transition deal is not a vote against brexit its a vote against not having an agreement in place to make sure the exit is in an orderly fashion to prevent chaos and unnecessary damage to the economy.

The only thing preventing the current transitional arrangement being implemented is the issue of the backstop, which is niche but important. If they solve that, then most likely her deal will go through and we will exit.

Is the backstop not important you you?
Wouldnt it make sense to leave in a way that does least damage to our economy and save jobs?
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Your understanding of what is going on is simplistic and leading you to confusion.
There are various factions and they want different things.

Voting against leaving without a transition deal is not a vote against brexit its a vote against not having an agreement in place to make sure the exit is in an orderly fashion to prevent chaos and unnecessary damage to the economy.

The only thing preventing the current transitional arrangement being implemented is the issue of the backstop, which is niche but important. If they solve that, then most likely her deal will go through and we will exit.

Is the backstop not important you you?
Wouldnt it make sense to leave in a way that does least damage to our economy and save jobs?
Don't condescend to me. They have had nearly three years to sort it out. Anyone wanting to delay now is looking to do so in order to stop Brexit there is no other reason. The reason we couldn't get a good deal is because of the intransigence of the EU. If we leave without a deal on WTO terms that will solve the backstop problem.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Will just say that there was never any possibility of Britain getting a good deal - all sides were far too stubborn from the offset, something I admit begrudgingly as a Europhile Remainer.

However, No Deal isn't what Brexit meant. Brexit meant 17 million things to 17 million people - people knew what they were voting for, but they didn't all agree on the outcome. Really we should've held an STV referendum once the Leave vote happened to determine which form of Brexit occurred.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Don't condescend to me. They have had nearly three years to sort it out. Anyone wanting to delay now is looking to do so in order to stop Brexit there is no other reason. The reason we couldn't get a good deal is because of the intransigence of the EU. If we leave without a deal on WTO terms that will solve the backstop problem.
You underestimate the complexity of separating yourself from an organisation from which you have been a member of for over 40 years.

I have already given you two reasons as to why there is current debate and it is not whether to leave but on what basis.

The way you talk shows you dont even understand what Mays deal is about nor why the MPs and various factions are in dispute.

I would prefer we leave in a way that does least damage to the UK and its prospects because the economy matters.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not trying. Succeeding.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because that's what most polls show also the establishment will not allow us to vote to leave a second time they will come up with a way to cheat the result.
But if the polls show that most Britons want to remain now, what platform do you even have for suggesting that we still go ahead and leave? And why would the establishment even need to rig the vote?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
But if the polls show that most Britons want to remain now, what platform do you even have for suggesting that we still go ahead and leave? And why would the establishment even need to rig the vote?
Because we had a referendum and won it? They will still try to rig it just to be sure of victory.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Because of the mess we have had for the last couple of years. Most people would probably be less inclined to leave and more people would be interested in voting remain.
I disagree
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
They don't though.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
I'm more inclined having seen what a bunch of ****s the EU are.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because they are out of touch with ordinary peoples views.

Also most want rig the result to remain by splitting the leave vote into 2 sections

In answer to the OP - yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads