Are Physics Teacher Training Bursaries means tested Watch

ksot12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi,

I have recently been accepted onto a SCITT course to become a Physics Teacher. I am now going through the process of getting funding for the course via Student Finance England for the course fees and have been made aware I am eligible for a £26'000 tax-free bursary.

Is this bursary dependant on how much my partner makes (~£20k p/a)? Or is that £26'000 guaranteed?
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Guaranteed!

You can take student loans too but they are means tested.
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ksot12)
Hi,

I have recently been accepted onto a SCITT course to become a Physics Teacher. I am now going through the process of getting funding for the course via Student Finance England for the course fees and have been made aware I am eligible for a £26'000 tax-free bursary.

Is this bursary dependant on how much my partner makes (~£20k p/a)? Or is that £26'000 guaranteed?
Totally not means tested, tax free and you don't have to pay it back even if you quit part way through.

It's intended as an incentive to get people to consider trying teaching- so there's almost no restrictions on it.

You can also get a fees loan, which is not means tested but you do have to pay back. This may be useful as the fees are usually paid in two lump sums, not monthly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads