Is it difficult to get medication for anxiety as a teen? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've had really bad anxiety for a few years, and I was curious if I could get medication for it (I'm in my late teens now).
Sofia8687
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello there, I am sorry that you are suffering from anxiety. I do as well but that's not the point, I am nowhere near an expert but I believe that you should definitely tell anyone that you personally trust about it. Opening up is the first thing towards dealing with any problem and anxiety is a serious one.if you are done with that and have their support you can consult a doctor and talk about it getting any kind of medication without knowing what side effects it may have is a no go.Also anxiety can't always be effective for every person because everyone is different you know? , Example it may not do anything for you but it could really help someone else... I think that if you judge it is necessary to do so and it may help your situation then first consult a doctor. I hope this helped a bit and good luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fear-of-failure
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you try to get medication on the nhs you will probably not get it but it’s very situation dependent. I went private for a separate issue and my anxiety came up and they offered me medication straight away but I didn’t take it for personal reasons.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sofia8687)
Hello there, I am sorry that you are suffering from anxiety. I do as well but that's not the point, I am nowhere near an expert but I believe that you should definitely tell anyone that you personally trust about it. Opening up is the first thing towards dealing with any problem and anxiety is a serious one.if you are done with that and have their support you can consult a doctor and talk about it getting any kind of medication without knowing what side effects it may have is a no go.Also anxiety can't always be effective for every person because everyone is different you know? , Example it may not do anything for you but it could really help someone else... I think that if you judge it is necessary to do so and it may help your situation then first consult a doctor. I hope this helped a bit and good luck!
Thank you I am going to be getting help from a doctor soon hopefully.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've had really bad anxiety for a few years, and I was curious if I could get medication for it (I'm in my late teens now).
It's borderline impossible on NHS (they will probably just offer you antidepressants). Very easy if you go private.
But - you do realise that sedatives aren't really going to 'fix' your anxiety, right? They just mask the symptoms. They are great, but they are also addictive, and come with a ton of side effects.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
It's borderline impossible on NHS (they will probably just offer you antidepressants). Very easy if you go private.
But - you do realise that sedatives aren't really going to 'fix' your anxiety, right? They just mask the symptoms. They are great, but they are also addictive, and come with a ton of side effects.
Don't worry, I know the risks - if my GP doesn't recommend them then I won't take them.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don't worry, I know the risks - if my GP doesn't recommend them then I won't take them.
Lol, your GP will not recommend them. Benzos are not officially intended for long term use. That's why only some private doctors will prescribe them. Either way, good luck...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (111)
17.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (194)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed