The Student Room Group

We should all go vegan to save the planet

I think we should cut out all meat and go vegan because consuming meat is to blame a lot for climate change and the suffering of animals, they have feelings too, so vegan is the way forward, it breaks my heart when someone buys meat from the shops.
Original post by vegan lass
I think we should cut out all meat and go vegan because consuming meat is to blame a lot for climate change and the suffering of animals, they have feelings too, so vegan is the way forward, it breaks my heart when someone buys meat from the shops.

Whilst reducing meat consumption can be good, saying everyone should go vegan is just impractical. Some people literally cannot. Eg some medicines aren’t vegan etc.

I personally am not vegan (or vegetarian) but I don’t eat meat very often whereas I do feel like some people eat too much meat (and more often not enough veg!)

Vegan meals are just also not as accessible for many people. Eg going dedicated vegan limits food options a lot and can mean you can’t find food in shops. Especially if you are limited to shops such as Aldi whether due to location or budget. (Yes I’m aware that non meat options are often cheaper but being dedicated to finding vegan meals when many items are not vegan can be difficult and vegan alternative are often more expensive)
Nah think I will steak to my 8oz Steak tonight
What is this delusion that going vegan will save the planet, the problem isn't primarily meat eating.
Btw, if you think the planet can't withstand humans for 200 years of heavy industry when it's been around for over 4 billion years you seriously need to get some thinking done, the planet will live on, the planet isn't the thing that's fu*ked, we are, until we change our fundamental nature we will always end up in the same mess as always, and not everyone will change, we've got a president who thinks climate change is fake, what do you think.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by vegan lass

What a good idea. Let's stop cutting down the rainforests to rear cattle, and instead start cutting them down to grow beans!
Someone suggested to me at work that the cows are partly to blame for our climate, not sure about that one mind you

Quick Reply

Latest