The Student Room Group

MP has solution for knife crime!!!

Scroll to see replies

No wonder. But London is exciting, even though very expensive. Watch your back, Wired, and stay safe.
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, I am from London, so I follow London news through the media and friends. I think living in a small charming medieval village would be great. You are around people you trust and feel more comfortable.

In London, it can be rough when you get to certain parts. Besides there appears to be a bit of lawlessness due to the pressure of living in a “dog eat dog” environment.

My closest friend comes from the country and I liked the quiet leafy neighbourhood that she lived in. I think it did show in her friendly and trusting attitude to people, whilst I am a bit more suspicious.
2 days is way too long. 6 hours during the night should be sufficient. From 12:00am to 6:00am. This could occur on the 1st of January so people can cleanse their soul before the year starts.
For how long would you want it for? 6 hours, 24 hours or 2 days? What restrictions would you put in place to make it a responsible purge?
Original post by Zenith_
2 days is way too long. 6 hours during the night should be sufficient. From 12:00am to 6:00am. This could occur on the 1st of January so people can cleanse their soul before the year starts.

But they would enter the new year with blood on their hands? Are all crimes legal? What about people who stay away, should it be illegal to stay away?
Original post by Oxford Mum
No wonder. But London is exciting, even though very expensive. Watch your back, Wired, and stay safe.

Thank you. Yes, it is okay, lots of things to do.
Yeah but they enter the new year with a cleansed soul. Yes, all crime are legal, including murder. During this period no one is allowed to travel outside the country. Therefore rendering airports closed.
But they would enter the new year with blood on their hands? Are all crimes legal? What about people who stay away, should it be illegal to stay away?
Original post by Zenith_
Yeah but they enter the new year with a cleansed soul. Yes, all crime are legal, including murder. During this period no one is allowed to travel outside the country. Therefore rendering airports closed.

So everyone has to participate? What happens when someone opts out? Would they be made to opt out? Imagine, you prepped for it and then on 31st December at 11:45, you fell ill, should you be allowed to opt out.

Also should there be a minimum age or are all ages part of the event? This is scary
It is a very scary concept indeed. If you were allowed to opt out and leave the place the purge is taking place in then it would basically be a voluntary hunger games. Therefore no one is allowed to opt out, and this includes all ages. Parents with kids would have the duty to protect them (unless the parents want to kill the kids). It's a free-for-all, so pick your allies wisely.
So everyone has to participate? What happens when someone opts out? Would they be made to opt out? Imagine, you prepped for it and then on 31st December at 11:45, you fell ill, should you be allowed to opt out.

Also should there be a minimum age or are all ages part of the event? This is scary
Original post by Zenith_
It is a very scary concept indeed. If you were allowed to opt out and leave the place the purge is taking place in then it would basically be a voluntary hunger games. Therefore no one is allowed to opt out, and this includes all ages. Parents with kids would have the duty to protect them (unless the parents want to kill the kids). It's a free-for-all, so pick your allies wisely.

Wow. This sounds like a video game. The movie “purge” was messed up and there were no restrictions to some people.

I think people should have another approach of relieving their frustrations and not organise legal killings.
(edited 5 years ago)
You sound like someone who wouldn't last a second in the purge aha
Wow. This sounds like a video game. The movie “purge” was messed up and there were no restrictions to some people.

I think people should have another approach of relieving their frustrations and not organise legal killings.
Original post by Zenith_
You sound like someone who wouldn't last a second in the purge aha

Oh, I doubt it.
Original post by Doones
Scott Mann, Conservative MP for North Cornwall, has announced a guaranteed solution to knife crime:

"Every knife sold in the UK should have a gps tracker fitted in the handle. It’s time we had a national database like we do with guns. If you’re carrying it around you had better have a bloody good explanation, obvious exemptions for fishing etc."
https://twitter.com/scottmann4NC/status/1106128906480951296

Twitter is amused:

etc...

it would be a good idea if you knew exactly what type of knife was used and some kitchen knives are worse than hunting knives don't really think a tracker system would work that well and it would have to have a battery and that would run out of power if it was left on all the time and people that wished to use it would not have it replaced
Knife tracker sounds good since vehicle tracking is already helping a lot of people...

but I think the problem with it that Knife tracker is not scalable, not many startups will take interest and it can easily tamper with some knowledge. Also, coordinates can be manipulated easily if you know how to work with code.

Still, it's a good initiative I would love to contribute in this discussion.
Original post by Jacob_Creek
Knife tracker sounds good since vehicle tracking is already helping a lot of people...

but I think the problem with it that Knife tracker is not scalable, not many startups will take interest and it can easily tamper with some knowledge. Also, coordinates can be manipulated easily if you know how to work with code.

Still, it's a good initiative I would love to contribute in this discussion.

How is it even possible to scale?
Original post by Just my opinion
These Bozos are meant to be amongst our brightest and best.

The brightest and best do not become politicians.
Original post by Doones
The people who vote for them...?

We vote for a party, not the candidate.
Reply 174
Why dont we just start fitting MPs with shock chips so every time they make some bone headed remark like this they get 60,000 volts? It might *he hopes* improve their ability, or lack thereof, to keep their gobs shut on matters they know not of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending