How do you choose between 2 opposite degrees? Watch

Siobha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm trying to decide whether to do a degree in biology or a degree in fine art but they're both so vastly different I'm finding it really hard.
I enjoy creativity and academics in equal amounts and (before the pretentious TSR users say both degrees are worthless) I know I want to become a secondary school teacher.
Advice from anyone who has navigated a similar situation would be great!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Siobha)
I'm trying to decide whether to do a degree in biology or a degree in fine art but they're both so vastly different I'm finding it really hard.
I enjoy creativity and academics in equal amounts and (before the pretentious TSR users say both degrees are worthless) I know I want to become a secondary school teacher.
What subject do you want to be a secondary school teacher in?

Ultimately it is your choice - consider which you would find more interesting and the careers prospects of each subject. Should you wish to go into teaching, you will have to do an additional course after graduation (PGCE) or going onto a program like Teach First. Do lots of research before you apply - look at course prospectuses online and attend open days to talk to lecturers and current students.
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My only suggestion would be that art would be easier to pursue as a hobby in your spare time than biology, but then again as a teacher you may not have much spare time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to think about whether you would be happier being an Art teacher or a Biology teacher. You know yourself the difference between the two lessons, with Art generally being a more relaxed environment. You could talk to your current Art and Biology teachers about what they like and dislike about teaching the subject and maybe volunteer to assist in lessons for a while with the Year 7s if you have any free periods. Doing this would also look great on your UCAS form.
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I also chose between 2 very different subjects - Korean language and International Relations. The most useful way for me was trying to write a personal statement for both. My statement for Korean was an absolute breeze to write, I had so much to say and I didn't really have to dig that hard for ways to make it sound good, whereas for International Relations it was really difficult. That was what ultimately made the decision for me because I realised I didn't have the same passion for IR. At uni I'm now taking an IR module anyway, so I can continue it alongside Korean, but I'm definitely sure I made the right choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (152)
18.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (80)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed