Second referendum vote tonight Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Mr Speaker has (for the first time) allowed an ammendment through that offers a second referendum - it will be voted on tonight in the Commons. The proposer is TIG breakaway ex-Tory MP Sarah Wollaston (Totnes).
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...trol-of-brexit

This is a chance to test the mood of the house on allowing another vote. It will be interesting to see how many support the idea. Also a chance for the Labour backbenches to show how much behind it they are.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't believe there's anything like enough support for a 2nd referendum.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But you said yesterday referendums were facist?
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone else find it weird that Theresa May is against a Second Referendum because we have to "respect the result of the First Referendum", but she doesn't mind making MPs keep repeatedly voting on her deal until she gets the result she wants?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
They are, but as we've already gone down that road, what's the logic now? More democracy = more referendums, surely?
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
They are, but as we've already gone down that road, what's the logic now? More democracy = more referendums, surely?
Not until after the first has been implemented
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's interesting to see the people who want a second referendum are by definition the ones who don't that think the results of referendums are important in the first place. :lol:
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I ask again, is Switzerland facist?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
I ask again, is Switzerland facist?
I hesitate to answer that question as I like Switzerland on the whole, but there are things about their political system that leave a lot to be desired and about their history.

I was perhaps being a little ott accusing all referenda of being fascistic. but the linking of extremist nationalism to referenda and the accusations of treachery aimed at anyone not supporting the nationalistic and racist/xenophobic agendas represented are pure, classic fascism and that's what we've seen oodles of in the current situation.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This statement does not make logical sense. Either you believe referendums are facist, or that they are democratic.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2019.)
This statement does not make logical sense. Either you believe referendums are facist, or that they are democratic.
I was attempting irony. I am against referendums in Britain on key issues as I regard them as against our Parliamentary traditions and open to manipulation by nefarious and outside interests - both have been most clearly the case with the EU referendum. I see what has been happening with the latter as inviting a fascist-style atmosphere in the country. There is extensive evidence to support these views - not least the desperate hatred that many hard-line Brexiteers now show for our Parliament, which they claimed they wanted to return sovereignty to.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was attempting irony. I am against referendums in Britain on key issues as I regard them as against our Parliamentary traditions and open to manipulation by nefarious and outside interests - both have been most clearly the case with the EU referendum. I see what has been happening with the latter as inviting a fascist-style atmosphere in the country. There is extensive evidence to support these views - not least the desperate hatred that many hard-line Brexiteers now show for our Parliament, which they claimed they wanted to return sovereignty to.
The purpose of parliament is to reflect and represent the views of their constituents. If this is true - then Parliament should be a leave supporting body - considering most MPs represent leave voting constituencies. Is it wrong for people to express anger that they are not being properly represented?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The purpose of parliament is to reflect and represent the views of their constituents. If this is true - then Parliament should be a leave supporting body - considering most MPs represent leave voting constituencies. Is it wrong for people to express anger that they are not being properly represented?
You do realise these same people elected these MPs?
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
You do realise these same people elected these MPs?
Yes- the overwhelming majority were elected on a mandate to respect the result.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fingers crossed.
Tawheed
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I honestly believe the vote for leave was based on misinformation and romanticising what would happen. We were told there would be 250million for the NHS regularly, we thought it would improve our economy and our country, and a lot of people who voted did so to spite the establishment. The pound fell , our economy is going to weaken even further, and a lot of the false promises made are not going to come to pass. Farage sold the country a lie along with his group, and bailed and left us with this mess.

Give the British public a final vote on the deal.

A. Theresa May's deal

B. Remain.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
In what sense are they not being properly represented?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes- the overwhelming majority were elected on a mandate to respect the result.
They can always vote for someone else at then next election if they are unhappy.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mr Speaker has (for the first time) allowed an ammendment through that offers a second referendum - it will be voted on tonight in the Commons. The proposer is TIG breakaway ex-Tory MP Sarah Wollaston (Totnes).
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...trol-of-brexit

This is a chance to test the mood of the house on allowing another vote. It will be interesting to see how many support the idea. Also a chance for the Labour backbenches to show how much behind it they are.
The Commons' commitment to indecision is profound:-

We reject May's Deal

We reject a different approach than May's Deal

We reject No Deal forever

In addition:-

We reject a Second Referendum

We reject limiting an Article 50 extension to the end of June

We reject indicative votes

We refuse to have no confidence in the government
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
The Commons' commitment to indecision is profound:-

We reject May's Deal

We reject a different approach than May's Deal

We reject No Deal forever

In addition:-

We reject a Second Referendum

We reject limiting an Article 50 extension to the end of June

We reject indicative votes

We refuse to have no confidence in the government
It almost makes one hanker after having a, you know, now what did they used to call it, er, a 'government'?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads