what do think about biocultured meat? Watch

8=======D
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Cultured meat is meat produced by in vitro cultivation of animal cells, instead of from slaughtered animals. It is a form of cellular agriculture. basically it is a loophole, you can still grow meat by just extracting few cells from the livestock (it's like taking a injection) and after that they culture the cells and the animal doesn't die.

Advantages
The use of land, water and other resources would drastically decrease.

The greenhouse gases emissions would also drastically decrease.

It is more safer for the society as no antibiotics is needed which will benefit doctors as antibiotics resistance is a massive issue right now.

Disadvantage

Job loss UNLESS the farmers instead do vegetable, fruit and other plant farming that can be used for nutrients for the cultured meat.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Depends how close it is to the real McCoy.
8=======D
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Depends how close it is to the real McCoy.
if you have basic knowledge of biology then you should know it is not close but identical, it is another way to extract meat. if the cells got extracted from a cow then it is real beef because few cells and cutting the whole muscle are only different in scale wise. so to answer your question, it's not close, it's the real deal.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 8=======D)
if you have basic knowledge of biology then you should know it is not close but identical, it is another way to extract meat. if the cells got extracted from a cow then it is real beef because few cells and cutting the whole muscle are only different in scale wise. so to answer your question, it's not close, it's the real deal.
By 'real' I mean meat cut from an actual animal, not grown from its cells.

Cuts of meat have various tastes and textures based on things like how the animal was fed, how it lived, how much exercise it got, and other factors. So how different is it going to be when it's been grown in a lab? Will it have the same fat content? Will it be tough, soft...? Will they be able to replicate rump and ribeye even if it's from the same cow cells? I have a hard time believing it will be exactly the same.
Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 8=======D)
Advantages
The use of land, water and other resources would drastically decrease.

The greenhouse gases emissions would also drastically decrease.
It could be a lot worse for the environment as it stands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47283162
Scrollery
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Decahedron, ever heard of renewable energy sources, in the website, it said it depends on their energy source so instead of using carbon dioxide emitting energy sources, they can use the renewables sources that that would decrease the greenhouse gas emissions from the cultured meat lab factory significantly.
Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by Decahedron)
It could be a lot worse for the environment as it stands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47283162
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Scrollery)
Decahedron, ever heard of renewable energy sources, in the website, it said it depends on their energy source so instead of using carbon dioxide emitting energy sources, they can use the renewables sources that that would decrease the greenhouse gas emissions from the cultured meat lab factory significantly.

Ever heard of not being condescending? I guess not.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
seems cool.
Scrollery
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Ok, but you can see that if the lab uses renewable energy source then it would be more environmental friendly. Forgive my condescending attitude.
Ever heard of not being condescending? I guess not.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Scrollery)
Ok, but you can see that if the lab uses renewable energy source then it would be more environmental friendly. Forgive my condescending attitude.
Of course, but as it stands right now as I previously stated it is not viable as a more environmentally friendly alternative.
sinfonietta
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If it looks like food and tastes like food I'll eat it. I'm not particularly fussy. :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed