Will I be rejected by Schools Direct? Watch

pairadise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hello everyone. I plan to become a Physics Teacher. I thought the process would be simple but now I'm not so sure.

The official entry requirements are 2.1 degree and 3 years working experience if I am not mistaken.

I have the minimum GCSE requirements. I unfortunately obtained a 3rd in my physics degree (personal issues) but I knew I wanted to pursue teaching, so after working as a Tutor in the UK I taught abroad in China as an English Teacher for 18 months. I consider that pretty valuable experience, however it is not 3 years.

Upon returning to the UK I plan to work as a Teaching Assistant for some relevant experience until applying for Schools Direct in September.

I am worried there is a possibility of rejection. Do you think there is anything I can do to strengthen my application, or is it completely unlikely due to competition?
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi

I've moved this thread to the teaching careers section.

Are you looking at salaried Schools Direct places? If so, they are often very competitive and hard to get on. There is definitely always a possibility of rejection- but work experience and a strong interview may help. Unsalaried schools direct places are much easier to get, but with a 3rd you wouldn't currently be eligible for a bursary, so affording living costs may be difficult. Each training provider will set their own entry requirements, so it may be worth contacting several before you apply.

What are your A-level grades like? This may help you prove that your degree class was just a blip rather than a true representation of your abilities.

You may have to look for some less competitive routes in, but for a shortage subject like physics, you may well be able to find a route to teaching with a 3rd.

Do be aware that teacher training is very challenging, regardless of the route you take. If your 3rd was due to mental health issues etc, it may be worth considering whether the stress of ITT/teaching would cause these to be triggered again.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Your third class degree will likely be the biggest problem. Also, do you appreciate that will be teaching a lot of biology and chemistry?
sp00kymcflukey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I know of two people with 3rds who got onto pgce courses this year (one for MFL, the other for computing). I think you'll find a way in for unsalaried, but forget salaried. You may need to wait for clearing but hopefully not. Apply for pgce and sd.
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by sp00kymcflukey)
I know of two people with 3rds who got onto pgce courses this year (one for MFL, the other for computing). I think you'll find a way in for unsalaried, but forget salaried. You may need to wait for clearing but hopefully not. Apply for pgce and sd.
PGCE courses don't appear in clearing- the application process is different, so if you don't get an offer from your initial 3 choices you can apply via apply 2 for one course at a time.

Courses may still be interviewing in the summer if they haven't filled places though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads