Iron deficiency and intelligence Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I found out, after a blood test, my iron levels in my blood are very low.
It goes a long way in explaining why I constantly felt drowsy and whatnot.
This may sound like a stupid question, but would taking supplements (like folic acid) help me make my brain more "sharp", and work better?
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This may sound like a stupid question, but would taking supplements (like folic acid) help me make my brain more "sharp", and work better?
If your iron levels are that low you should be prescribed iron tablets. Speak to your doctor for more information about that. And speak to a pharmacist about other supplements, but iron should be all you need if that's all you're low in.

For anyone who is wondering no I'm not a doctor.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
If you're deficient in iron then you need to take iron tablets or eat food with iron in every day for the rest of your life. Supplements will not improve your intelligence.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Plus taking iron tablets or eating food with iron with will solve your problem of drowsiness, you will get tired less with iron supplements/foods.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/iron-deficiency-anaemia/

You can get iron tablets as well
Your GP or nurse will assess how low your levels are and what measures you need to take.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I see, thank you all! I have really important exams coming up in a little over 2 months so I need to get this sorted out very soon!
jungshook
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm iron deficient too; well the term is anaemic. I take this oral syrup called sytron. Its red and has some metallic after taste, ew. Last year I had a blood test done and my iron was low back then too so they gave me ferrous fumarate tablets. They were fine, a bit hard to swallow, but they make ur **** black. lol. So ye, ask ur gp. They usually give you a prescription when ur iron levels are pretty low, or u can buy oral solutions urself.
I see, thank you all! I have really important exams coming up in a little over 2 months so I need to get this sorted out very soon!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads