Could my dad have autism or something? Watch

bloomer36
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
We've lived in the same house for 17 years, yet I've never had any kind of connection with him (neither have any of my siblings). My mum said he wasn't even interested in having children in the first place.

The reason I'm wondering if he is autism or something is because he doesn't ever seem to be in touch with his emotions nor anybody else's. This part of life is non-existent to him. He's just not interested in anything to do with emotions. He's never hugged/kissed me, ever since I was young. He doesn't realise how important this is for a child's development.

But the thing is, I don't think he even knows how to show this kind of love (even if he did have love for his children). It's like foreign language to him. Hence I think he may have autism. He has tried to hug in some occasions, like before travelling to another country, but I don't think it's something he wants to do, he just does it because he feels obliged to as a father. And the hugs are very non-embracing. Very stiff.

I think the word stiff just describes him generally. He's also not open to any kind of change, sticks to traditions and routines and stuff.

Anyway, there's a lot more I can write but this would be too long. So, from what I've said, do you think there's a possibility he could have autism or something similar?
bloomer36
Rep:
?
In one line - he doesn't know how to be a father nor a husband (for context, the marriage was arranged).
bloomer36
Rep:
?
bump?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Sounds like there's a high chance he does have autism to me
heidigirl1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't begin to even take an armchair guess whether he's autistic from the one trait that he appears emotionally distant and doesn't show affection. Nothing you've said immediately suggests autism.

To start with, the idea of autistic people as unemotional robots with no empathy is a just a (mostly wrong) stereotype-actually a lot of autistic people talk about having too much empathy and feeling things quite deeply (though they may not show it in the same way non-autistic people do). There are other ways autistic people may appear insensitive, such as from difficulty 'reading' people or picking up on social cues- but again, you'd find if you actually told most autistic people that they had upset someone, they would certainly care about that.

But in any case, being autistic encompasses a wide range of traits/symptoms. The main symptoms of autism are difficulties with social interaction and communication (which might include interpreting verbal and non verbal language like gestures and tone of voice or taking things literally) and restricted and repetitive behaviours activities or interests (which might include rigid routines, 'obsessive' interests). Sensory issues are also common (over or under sensitivity to lights, sounds, touch etc).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads