My anti depression/anxiety meds are doing literally nothing Watch

sienna0305
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m 19 and i have really bad anxiety that stops me from going into college, obviously this is bad as i need the teachers to help me finish up all my coursework and with revision and i already repeated a year so it would cost me to re do exams next summer when i’m 20. I’ve been on sertraline 50mg for about 6 weeks and i feel no better or worse mentally. The doctor said it’s possible i’ll feel more anxious in the first 4 weeks but that i need to stick with it as it should get better after that. I didn’t feel worse in the first 4 weeks i’ve felt literally no different whatsoever to when i didn’t take them apart my period was earlier. When i was on the pill (was on rigevidon and then another one for a couple months that i can’t remember the name of) everyone said it would effect my mood swings/general mood and make me feel more sad and hormonal (also gain weight which i didn’t) but i literally felt no different on them either. Could there be a physical reason tablets that alter the hormones/chemicals in your body don’t work on me?? as far as i know i’m physically very healthy, one doctor said i may be anaemic/have low iron but i have a phobia of needles so i never went to get my blood taken, they said it wasn’t urgent and i don’t think that would be related anyway. Has anyone been in a similar situation or maybe would have some advice for what to say to my doctor??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Hello OP. I am a 19-year-old male also suffering from anxiety an also suffer from OCD. I have taken different medications in the past for my condition but I also felt they did nothing. However, I started on the same medicine you are on abou1-2 years ago. I thought it did nothing for a long time and so I have been rarely taking it. However, when stressed my OCD and anxiety raise dramatically and so with the deadlines drawing closer for work I started back up on my medication. I am prescribed to take 150 mg of sertraline so I built myself up, taking 50 mg for about a week, and now am taking 100mg for 2 weeks until I am back up to my dosage. When I was seeking medical help I told my doctor the first medication I was on wasn't doing anything so he tried sertaline. I can tell you from experience of not taking the medicine and taking the medicine that it works for me. When I take it I am able to forget the thoughts I suffer from with my OCD, meaning I do fewer compulsions and have less anxiety and am now taking my medication extremely seriously.

What I have to say from experience is that you should speak to your doctor like I did and asked to up the dosage if you feel no effect. If after the upped dosage doesn't work then ask to try another medication maybe. Medicine is not a be and end all, they have their uses and they work best for some conditions and others. People respond differently to different medications and for me, sertraline was the one and maybe it is for you too so just asked for a higher dosage, if that fails asked to try another medication, you will have to come down from the medication you are on if you change, however, that's the only downside. Sorry for the essay OP, this is a subject dear to me.
(Original post by sienna0305)
I’m 19 and i have really bad anxiety that stops me from going into college, obviously this is bad as i need the teachers to help me finish up all my coursework and with revision and i already repeated a year so it would cost me to re do exams next summer when i’m 20. I’ve been on sertraline 50mg for about 6 weeks and i feel no better or worse mentally. The doctor said it’s possible i’ll feel more anxious in the first 4 weeks but that i need to stick with it as it should get better after that. I didn’t feel worse in the first 4 weeks i’ve felt literally no different whatsoever to when i didn’t take them apart my period was earlier. When i was on the pill (was on rigevidon and then another one for a couple months that i can’t remember the name of) everyone said it would effect my mood swings/general mood and make me feel more sad and hormonal (also gain weight which i didn’t) but i literally felt no different on them either. Could there be a physical reason tablets that alter the hormones/chemicals in your body don’t work on me?? as far as i know i’m physically very healthy, one doctor said i may be anaemic/have low iron but i have a phobia of needles so i never went to get my blood taken, they said it wasn’t urgent and i don’t think that would be related anyway. Has anyone been in a similar situation or maybe would have some advice for what to say to my doctor??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (111)
17.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.35%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (190)
29.97%

Watched Threads