I don't want a counselor! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by #love2learn)
So should i tell my teacher that i don't want it?
Thats your decision really, but you need to engage with counselling in order for it to work. Its not for everyone.
#love2learn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You havent given it much of a try, but if its not for you, then how are you going to deal with the thing that took you there in the first place?
I'll deal with it i mean i have been dealing with it on my own and coping with it well so it's fine.
#love2learn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thats your decision really, but you need to engage with counselling in order for it to work. Its not for everyone.
Yeah i don't want it. I'll be fine.
MiszShorTea765
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah i don't want it. I'll be fine.
You’re not obliged to attend if you believe you wouldn’t derive any fruitful benefit from the sessions.
#love2learn
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiszShorTea765)
You’re not obliged to attend if you believe you wouldn’t derive any fruitful benefit from the sessions.
Yeah, so i'll tell him that i don't want the sessions.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
why did it make you feel worse? you just don't like talking or you didn't like the counsellor?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Counselling is hard. It will make things feel worse at first, recovery isn't easy. If it was, we wouldn't need outside input. But if you're not in the right mindset for it, then don't bother right now. Get other help.
#love2learn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Counselling is hard. It will make things feel worse at first, recovery isn't easy. If it was, we wouldn't need outside input. But if you're not in the right mindset for it, then don't bother right now. Get other help.
Like what?
#love2learn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
why did it make you feel worse? you just don't like talking or you didn't like the counsellor?
I really don't know.
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have just had my very first counselling session today. It was alright but i know that there is no way it's going to benefit me. Instead of helping me and making me feel better it has made me feel even worse.
What should I do?
Okay well first off you don't have to go back if you don't want to. This is your life and all the choices are yours. That said I would encourage you to give it a fair chance for a few sessions and make a decision after that.

Counselling isn't something that helps immediately and often can leave you feeling worse after appointments. The whole idea is to take about things that are impacting your mental health and work through them. Long term the goal is to help you get over some things or teach you how to manage triggers better etc, but short term it's a lot of bringing up stuff that makes you feel crappy.
It also takes a while for you and the counsellor to get to know each other and until then things can be pretty awkward cos they are talking to you how you don't like to be talked to, you aren't feeling comfortable enough to properly open up etc.
And it really doesn't work if you aren't open to it (or if the counsellor just isn't a good fit). The whole process relies on a level of openness and without that you aren't going to get very far.
I had counselling at the start of my journey with depression and it was honestly pretty useless. They kept asking about things that didn't impact on my current situation, they dismissed some of the things I did think were going on, I wasn't really at a stage where I was willing to (or knew how to) contribute much to the experience so all in all we just never talked about the right stuff. It was basically an exercise in dragging up stuff from my past and some lady trying to put a dark light on everything. Later though I found various types of counselling/ therapy to be more useful or saw how helpful it was for others who leaned more into the process (I never did really open up to it fully- I am not one to bare my soul to random people and honestly find the therapist voice super annoying).

So I would give it a go for a while more and really try to give it a chance. If it's still not getting anywhere have a chat to the counsellor in one appointment and say you don't think it's helping. They may be able to help you work out a new plan of action or a way to make it work for you or you might decide to make that your last appointment.

If counselling isn't for you then you're kinda back where you started, but there are other things to try. Don't just accept a life of feeling bad, work on what's next. A good way to do that can be going to see your GP and talking about options.

I hope that helps a bit and you find something that works for you.
Last edited by Kindred; 1 week ago
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
I really don't know.
ok. i just asked because i've been in and out of counselling for years. i've seen at least a dozen different ones by now. some i clicked with and some i absolutely did not. some did not get me at all.

if you're not clicking, i wouldn't give up tho. if you have the opportunity to try someone else i think it's worth it. that counsellor might 'get' you.
#love2learn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
ok. i just asked because i've been in and out of counselling for years. i've seen at least a dozen different ones by now. some i clicked with and some i absolutely did not. some did not get me at all.

if you're not clicking, i wouldn't give up tho. if you have the opportunity to try someone else i think it's worth it. that counsellor might 'get' you.
Yeah, i'll see.
#love2learn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kindred)
Okay well first off you don't have to go back if you don't want to. This is your life and all the choices are yours. That said I would encourage you to give it a fair chance for a few sessions and make a decision after that.

Counselling isn't something that helps immediately and often can leave you feeling worse after appointments. The whole idea is to take about things that are impacting your mental health and work through them. Long term the goal is to help you get over some things or teach you how to manage triggers better etc, but short term it's a lot of bringing up stuff that makes you feel crappy.
It also takes a while for you and the counsellor to get to know each other and until then things can be pretty awkward cos they are talking to you how you don't like to be talked to, you aren't feeling comfortable enough to properly open up etc.
And it really doesn't work if you aren't open to it (or if the counsellor just isn't a good fit). The whole process relies on a level of openness and without that you aren't going to get very far.
I had counselling at the start of my journey with depression and it was honestly pretty useless. They kept asking about things that didn't impact on my current situation, they dismissed some of the things I did think were going on, I wasn't really at a stage where I was willing to (or knew how to) contribute much to the experience so all in all we just never talked about the right stuff. It was basically an exercise in dragging up stuff from my past and some lady trying to put a dark light on everything. Later though I found various types of counselling/ therapy to be more useful or saw how helpful it was for others who leaned more into the process (I never did really open up to it fully- I am not one to bare my soul to random people and honestly find the therapist voice super annoying).

So I would give it a go for a while more and really try to give it a chance. If it's still not getting anywhere have a chat to the counsellor in one appointment and say you don't think it's helping. They may be able to help you work out a new plan of action or a way to make it work for you or you might decide to make that your last appointment.

If counselling isn't for you then you're kinda back where you started, but there are other things to try. Don't just accept a life of feeling bad, work on what's next. A good way to do that can be going to see your GP and talking about options.

I hope that helps a bit and you find something that works for you.
Yeah, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed